1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

07 panther 110cc wiring woe's

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kill switch is working now, the gray wire on it is grounded out to the headlight and the yellow feeds into the black white wire.
so now these headlights

maybe this can help me get the headlights going... on the switch there are 4 wires going to it. any idea what controls what?

if looking at the inside of the switch it like this -

br/w gr

red blk

I am gonna assume the blk is the ground, as that feeds down to the back of the headlight and screws into the bulb housing.

now this br/w wire runs to an empty slot on the main harness, should this be connected to that yellow wire from the stator?

then how can i figure out which color (red/green) controls the lights/brights.

if i can figure that out, I think i can connect the correct wire in the main harness to the head light fitting.

i just reconnected a couple wires that were spliced, gonna see if thats gonna help at all, unfortunately the battery died out, recharging it up now...

Old 09-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Once again I started to respond last night but fell asleep at the keyboard.

I reread the posts. I want to revisit what I see so far and see if you agree. Let's start with the headlight switch looking at the harness connections and wire colors. I'll post the harness colors and what I think their functions are (remember these are harness side wire colors):

Connector 1:
Yellow: AC power from the stator to run your headlights
Orange: AC power when switched on to run your low beams and running lights.
Blue: AC power to run your high beams
Black/White: Kill switch connection. When grounded to the black wire via the kill switch this kills spark and stops the engine.
Black: Ground. This should go all over the place to frame ground and to the negative battery terminal.

Connector 2:
Red/Yellow: Start button to the starter solenoid
Green/Yellow: Start button to the starter/brake light safety interlock circuitry.

That's seven wire in your harness that all have to be wired up correctly for your quad to start, run, and have low and high beam headlights

Connector 2 is working. Your quad cranks the starter, so we can ignore it.

That leave the 5 wires on connector 1. I only have partial info on how these five wires in the harness interface to your left handlebar switch.

Here's what I think so far starting with the headlight switch:

1) The yellow wire from the stator goes to the black wire on the headlight switch. This is from your post of 9/23:

The yellow wire runs from the stator and gets split. It didn't go to the Cdi box that as an error on my part, looks like it goes to some type of regulator or something, the other half ran to the left side harness switch. It connected to a black wire on the light switch.
But then on a post on 9/23 you wrote:

black stays black at harness and runs to headlight harness when it goes to green and runs to the headlight bulb.
There is a confilct here. Do you have two different black wires on the headlight switch?

2) The red wire on the headlight switch goes to the low beam side of the headlights.

3) the Green wire on the headlight switch goes to the high beam headlight connection.

From your description of the switch continuity when the headlight switch is off, low beams and high beams I would say the the red and green wires sound right, and that the yellow wire from the stator should go to the black wire on the headlight switch.

The other description where your black wire on the headlight switch goes to the ground wire at the headlight connector does not sound correct.

Now I'm out of info to work with. There are two more wires in the harness connector: The black/white (kill switch) wire and the black wire (ground). I assum the kill switch wire (blk/wht) ties to the gray wire on the handlebar switch. Right? But where does the ground wire go (the black wire on the 5 pin harness connector) on the headlight switch? I know you said it goes to the black wire on the headlight switch, but you also said the yellow wire goes to the black wire on the headlight switch. Both can't be true.

Also, check the continuity of the black wire in the 5 pin wiring harness connector to ground (or the negative battery terminal). Maybe this is your major problem - that black wire in the harness connector doesn't go to ground. That would keep your kill switch from working.

Based on your headlight switch continuity readings I think the brn/wht wire on the headlight switch should remian unused.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay, got it fixed. What happened was the black ground wire from the switch spliced and not connected to the main grounds. When I saw these unconnected I assumed they had got sliced and just connected both ends ( from switch and from headlight ) together.

I just wired them up to he other grounds and lo and behold, we got lights.

Thanks for all your patience and help. Now I just got to figure out the tail light.
Will post those wife colors shortly. I had an led light which stopped working, I figured cuz it was damaged that caused the failure so I bought a new assembly and not sure which wire to connect to what cuz the colors are different

Old 09-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

The original brake harness was a two pin with 3 wires runnin to it. Black by itself, and green and red together.

The new brake light assembly was a 3 pin, so I cut that end off to splice into the old 2 pin but don't know which wires to splice ti what wires.

The new assembly wires are green yellow and brown, and the old ones are black , green and red.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so I got brake lights now, but not running lights, should the brake light turn off completely when lever is released or should it dim out as a running lamp?

I don't remember what it did before it stopped working.

My other son Atv does dim out as running lights

Old 09-27-2012, 12:55 AM
Electrical Expert

Awesome.

Originally Posted by 8ball3290
Okay, got it fixed. What happened was the black ground wire from the switch spliced and not connected to the main grounds. When I saw these unconnected I assumed they had got sliced and just connected both ends ( from switch and from headlight ) together.

I just wired them up to he other grounds and lo and behold, we got lights.

Thanks for all your patience and help. Now I just got to figure out the tail light.
Will post those wife colors shortly. I had an led light which stopped working, I figured cuz it was damaged that caused the failure so I bought a new assembly and not sure which wire to connect to what cuz the colors are different

Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 AM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by 8ball3290
...Will post those wife colors shortly. I had an led light which stopped working, I figured cuz it was damaged that caused the failure so I bought a new assembly and not sure which wire to connect to what cuz the colors are different
Uh oh, this is a big problem. LED lights are DC powered only, and your main lighting system (headlights and tail light) are powered of AC voltage from the stator. You cannot power an LED tail light off AC power from the stator. It will not work - end of story.

But you have a brake light. The brake light filament (inside the brake/tail light bulb) is completely separate from the tail light filament. They share a common ground, but they are other wise completely separate. On AC powered lighted quads the tail light filament is powered from the AC voltage from the stator (through the headlight switch). The brake light filament is powered on 12 volts DC through the brake switch.

You have brake lights, but not rear running lights. With an LED rear light I would expect this to be so - DC powered stuff only will work- i.e. brake light. Ac powered stuff will not. We're stuck here on that fact...

Obviously your quad didn't come this way, since it is so impossible, but what of the future? Do you want to go back to incandescants all around (i.e.tail light), or switch to having LED headlights with the entire lighting network running of DC power from the regulator, or just living with the things the way they are?

Old 09-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

It had an led light when I got it, so I grabbed another cuz that's what it had. It works so guess I'll just leave it as is it. Thanks again for all your help, now just have ti switch out the plastics, it's yellow the kid wants camo like his big brother, Christmas present I guess, lol