1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Coolster 3050B, no spark

Old 11-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolster 3050B, no spark

Just stopped getting spark out of the blue, replaced the plug first, nothing, got a new ignition coil, nothing, where else should i look?

Old 11-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Look at your CDI. How many connectors? How many pins on the CDI total?

Find yourself a volt meter because in the next steps you will need it .

Old 11-15-2011, 07:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Look at your CDI. How many connectors? How many pins on the CDI total?

Find yourself a volt meter because in the next steps you will need it .
will check as soon as i get home and post, thank you!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

here is a picture Name:  2011-11-18_06-21-47_340.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  59.1 KB

sorry it took so long, been a rough week

Old 11-21-2011, 11:50 PM
Electrical Expert

The pictures that you posted are of your voltage regulator - not the CDI.

What you are looking for is something like one of these:

Name:  4pinCDI.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  29.7 KB

Name:  CDI_Pinout.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  27.7 KB

Name:  50cc-cdi.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  19.2 KB

Old 11-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK, thank you Lynn! ill check asap

Old 12-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Old 12-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Electrical Expert

That's a five pin CDI. But $45 (with free shipping) is really expensive sounding to me. I think if you shop around you can get a better deal. I really doubt there is anything special about that CDI for coolster. It looks like a standard issue generic 5 pin CDI to me.

Here is the standard procedure for troubleshooting no spark on a 5 pin CDI:

Is this a picture of your CDI?

Assuming the answer is yes, the first thing to do is eliminate all kill switches and kill switch wiring:

Method 1) Unplug the CDI and remove the kill switch pin in the CDI connector on the wiring harness. The pin is held in with a spring tab on the pin itself. You'll have to probe into the connector and push this tab in order to extract the pin. Plug the CDI back in (kill switch wire dangling) and see if you have spark.

Method 2) Unplug the CDI. Turn on the ignition switch and set all kill switches to the run position. Use a meter to measure resistance in of the kill switch pin in the wiring harness connector to engine/frame ground. If the reistance is infinite on the 100K ohm scale then your kill switches/kill switch wiring are OK. If you measure zero ohms then you have a kill switch/wiring issue.

The other inputs your CDI needs to make spark are AC Ignition Power, and the Trigger signal. Do the following:

1) Unplug the CDI. In the wiring connector measure the resistance of the AC Ignition Power pin to the Ground pin. You should see 400 ohms or so. What do you measure?

2) Measure the resistance of the Timing/trigger pin to the ground pin. You should measure 150 ohms or so. What do you measure?

3) Leave the CDI unplugged. Set your meter to measure AC volts on the 100 volt scale. Measure the voltage on the AC Ignition Power pin to the ground pin while cranking the engine. You should see 40 to 80 volts AC while the engine is cranking. What do you measure?

4) Set your meter to measure AC volts on the lowest scale you have. Ideally this would be 2 volts but many meters don't go down this low. In that case use the lowest scale you have. Measure the voltage on the Timing Trigger pin to the Ground pin while cranking the engine. You should 0.2 t0 0.4 volts AC. What do you measure?

Now for measuring the output side of the CDI:

A) Leave the CDI unplugged. In the CDI wiring connector measure the resistance of the Ignition Coil pin to the ground pin. You should measure less than 1 ohm (but not zero ohms). What do you measure?

B) Plug the CDI back in. Set your meter to measure AC volts on the 20 volt scale. Set all kill switches to the run position. Crank the engine while measuring the voltage on the Igntition Coil pin to ground. Poke through the insulation of the wire if you can't probe the connector.

Caution: There should be moderately high voltage spikes on this wire. Make sure your fingers are not part of the circuitry. Don't touch the probe lead tips while doing this test.

What you should see is a lot of random numbers with lots of zero values as well. This is because the meter may catch all or part of the spark event voltage, with a lot of nothing in between. Describe what you see.

Note: Using a meter to measure this point produces highly variable results depending on the meter. What you really need is an oscilloscope, but most always a meter is all that is available. We have to do the best we can with what's available. Describe the meter results as accurately as you can - there is information there to chew on....

Old 09-15-2014, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi there, I did the above steps on my Coolster 3050B. It has a brand new ignition coil, CDI, and stator. The the safety switch circuit works as it should. The front brake switch is shorted, so the brake light is always on. I have this unplugged as to not drain the battery while I am doing my testing.

After unplugging the CDI:

Step 1 my meter reads O.L.

Step 2 my meter reads 123.2 ohms

Step 3 my meter reads 0 volts A/C

Step 4 my meter reads .180 volts

Step A my meter reads .5 ohms

Step B my meter reads 0 volts. Not a flicker of the numbers at all.

I am now at a loss. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.