1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Coolster 125 NO LOW END POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-12-2011, 09:39 AM
F-7
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolster 125 NO LOW END POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi I am new here and need to know if I should sell this while I can still get some money for it!!!!!!!!!!! After looking around and my son going from one toy to another I decided not to spend 3000 to 4000 on a high quality four wheeler untill I knew he was going to ride it all the time. The problem is this NO LOW END POWER!!!!! The other day he was going up a small hill that he drove his electic gator up when he was little and it rolled backwards!!! Really!!!!!! What do I need to do aftermaket carb,rear sprocket? Carb has been adjusted and it helped a little but it's a 125!!!!!

Old 11-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

does it have a centrifugal clutch? if so, adjust it!. if it's automatic/CVT, check the belts/pulleys. double check the brakes ain't sticking.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Range Rover

were you able to find a solution?

Old 12-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Trailblazer

when you say no low end power, does that mean its reving fine and dont going anywhere and not going anywhere or its bogging down and spluttering?
if its spluttering i would think it has to be the carb, if its not it has to be something to do with the transmission.. like the clutch slipping. also when its not going anywhere does it make any weird noise?

Old 12-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the same issue with a 125 coolster. It will get up to 30mph on the flats with my big butt on it, but if my little girl who ways 50lbs is on it and there is any hill or incline at the start the thing just sits there and will not move unless I give it a push. Anyone out there have any ideas whats up with these?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by gooddogs
I have the same issue with a 125 coolster. It will get up to 30mph on the flats with my big butt on it, but if my little girl who ways 50lbs is on it and there is any hill or incline at the start the thing just sits there and will not move unless I give it a push. Anyone out there have any ideas whats up with these?
mines the same way.. goes plenty fast in the neighborhood, but hit a trail with some incline and you have to hop off and push if you slow down too much

the other issue with mine is you can just punch the throttle, you have to ease into it, or it boggs.. this makes me think it has a carb problem, possibly improperly jetted? I tried adjusting the carb, but I cant get it right

p.s. mine is a taotao 125, but I think they are all the same

Old 12-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Jaster94
does it have a centrifugal clutch? if so, adjust it!. if it's automatic/CVT, check the belts/pulleys. double check the brakes ain't sticking.
can you tell me the adjusting procedure?
also, what would the goal be? to let the motor spin up a little more before it engages, so it has more power?

thanks

Old 12-29-2011, 06:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by High_Boost
mines the same way.. goes plenty fast in the neighborhood, but hit a trail with some incline and you have to hop off and push if you slow down too much

the other issue with mine is you can just punch the throttle, you have to ease into it, or it boggs.. this makes me think it has a carb problem, possibly improperly jetted? I tried adjusting the carb, but I cant get it right

p.s. mine is a taotao 125, but I think they are all the same
for your bogging problem, you may look into cleaning the carb/jets and make sure you don't have vacuum leaks.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:31 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Sorry I missed this the first time around...

First problem.. Jetted very lean from the factory.. its to pass CARB/EPA tests.. a bigger pilot jet would help low end power a bit.. not to mention it will warm up easier.. A larger main jet will help top end power..

Second problem.. the quad is geared to high.. nice top end speed(maybe to fast)You need a larger rear sprocket and a longer chain.. I suggest adding 6-9 teeth

Old 12-31-2011, 05:15 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by mywifesquad
Second problem.. the quad is geared to high.. nice top end speed(maybe to fast)You need a larger rear sprocket and a longer chain.. I suggest adding 6-9 teeth
I would gladly trade some top end for grunt
any idea where to buy the rear sprocket?

I looked at my sprockets, by my count the front one has 14 teeth and it says 420, the rear looks to have 38 (manuafacturer says 37, I could have miscounted)

front sprockets seem to be available in 12,13,14,16,17 but I havent seen anything but 37 for the rear.. would dropping 2 teeth to a 12 in the front make much differance?

thanks

edit: I actually found someone who will make a steel 42 tooth sprocket, but it would be much cheaper to just change the front if that would do it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolster 125 NO LOW END POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!