1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

2006 BuYang Quad NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 BuYang Quad NEED HELP!!!

Hi I have just purchased a used 2006 BuYang ATV, there is no ignition, i have 4 wires: red, black, green, and black w/ white stripe.
Red + black wire fires but does not run.
Any suggestions?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Old 10-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What size engine?

When you say you have "no ignition" exactly what does that mean? No spark at the spark plug? The engine won't crank when you push the start button?

You describe the colors of four wires. Where are those four wires? On the CDI? On the ignition switch?

What does "red + black wire fires but does not run" mean?

Did this quad ever run for you, or did you buy it not running?

When you turn on the ignition switch and turn on the headlights, do they light up brightly?

When you apply the brakes, front and/or rear, does the brake light come on?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer

and to add tyo lynn's questions did you check for the brake switch , some atv's you need to apply the brake befor it will let it run

Old 08-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

HELP!! Last winter we purchase a used 2006 Buyang 110 Quad. The boys rode it everywhere in the snow until the battery died. It sat for a few months until we decided to resurrect it. Unfortunately after we put the new battery in it would crank over but would not start. Today I tore it apart and cleaned the carb. I must have dc'ed a wire while taking it apart or putting it together, as now I have nothing.

When I turn the key on, no brake lights, no starter noise, nothing. I am not sure if the carb clean worked as now I can not even start it. I am not sure where to start to check for shorts or bad parts.

Thanks Jackal

Old 08-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by jakal01
HELP!! Last winter we purchase a used 2006 Buyang 110 Quad. The boys rode it everywhere in the snow until the battery died. It sat for a few months until we decided to resurrect it. Unfortunately after we put the new battery in it would crank over but would not start. Today I tore it apart and cleaned the carb. I must have dc'ed a wire while taking it apart or putting it together, as now I have nothing.

When I turn the key on, no brake lights, no starter noise, nothing. I am not sure if the carb clean worked as now I can not even start it. I am not sure where to start to check for shorts or bad parts.

Thanks Jackal
Check the fuse first. If it is blown you will get exactly those symptoms.

Else get a meter at the ready. How many wires on your ignition switch? What are their colors?

On your no start problem, did you check to see if you have spark? Do you know how to check for this?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Lynn, unfortunately, I know very little about engines. I can build a house or cabinetry, but engines are my week point.

I would have to ask where the fuse is at first to check that. Then directions on what to do from there.

Thank you for your help

Jakal

Old 08-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Electrical Expert

Fuses are always close to the battery. So look where you battery is and the fuse will be nearby (often within 6 inches) on the small red wire coming off the positive battery post. If you don't have a small red wire coming off the (+) battery post then follow the fat red wire to the solenoid. Some quads have the fuse as part of the solenoid.

Quad batteries can put out up to 150 amps into a short circuit. That's enough to vaporize wires and cause instant fire. That's why the fuse. But if the fuse is far away from the battery then all that wire from the battery to the fuse is unprotected from shorts, and presents a fire hazard.

Check the fuse first.

If the fuse is good then try shorting the solenoid posts: Set the brake, and make sure the quad is in neutral (In the next steps you will be bypassing some start up safety interlocks). Follow the fat red wire from the positive battery post to the solenoid screw post. Follow the fat red wire from the other solenoid screw post down to the starter motor. Take a screwdriver and short those two screw posts together. Don't mind a few sparks. Does the starter turn? If it turns you have vindicated the starter motor, battery, starter motor wires, and the ground return.

Th ignition switch is next. Can you tell me what the color of each wire is coming off the back of the ignition switch? This is where you will need a meter to proceed

Old 08-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Lynn,
Thank you for your guidance. I tried the celaniod and the engine cranks but slowly - probably a low battery from trying too much. Now, for the ignition switch I took it apart and it looks like it has 8 wires running into it. a few green, two small boxes, one has a white, green and yellow, the larger has green, white, yellow, and two brown. That is where I am at so far.

thanks

Jakal

Old 08-26-2011, 11:58 PM
Electrical Expert

It's really important that you don't leave your new battery in a run down state. Batteries last a long time if kept charged up. But if you leave them sit partially discharged they are ruined quickly (as measured in days to weeks - not hours and minutes).

Eight wires to the ignition switch doesn't sound right. Neither do the colors. Chinese quads are always full of surprises, but I just want to make sure we are on the same page. The ignition switch is the switch turned with the key. Usually there are four wires (sometimes two), but not eight. I also don't know what you mean by two "small boxes". Are these perhaps plastic connector housings? Are you looking at the left handle bar switch (headlights, start button, and kill switch) instead of the ignition switch?

Did you check the fuse?

Old 09-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Lynn,
I did check the fuse, it seems okay. The ignition has 6 wires: red, black, green, black and white, and 2 yellow, plus a small copper head. Where do I need to put the voltmeter to read outputs and what should they read?

Thank you

Quick Reply: 2006 BuYang Quad NEED HELP!!!