3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

My 200cc Quad will NOT start using the Electric Starter (Video and Pictures Inside!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My 200cc Quad will NOT start using the Electric Starter (Video and Pictures Inside!)

Rigged up my electrical system in a certain way as shown in the video

My main issue is that the quad will not start. I purchased a new spark plug, used some starting fluid, cleaned out the carburetor, and I can almost guarantee their is nothing wrong with the engine.

My guess is that there is an unplugged or loose wire on the quad that is acting as a kill switch since it's not being occupied which is not allowing the engine to get spark.

I've done a lot and I am sure it's something very small that I am not noticing. Please help me fix this for my son!

YouTube VIDEO URL: YouTube - ‪200cc Quad Issue‬‏

Old 07-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Angry My 200cc Quad will NOT start using the Electric Starter (Video and Pictures Inside!)

Accidental Post. My Apologies.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:28 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Other than making sure all the connections are tight.... and taping off exposed wires (so they dont become a ground and kill spark)..

I got nothing,,

Old 07-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I remember on my 90cc Baja, if this little plug which you hook a lanyard wasn't plugged in the back, the engine would seem like it is trying to start using the electrical starter but it just wouldn't start. As soon as you plug in that pin, it would start which leads me to believe that this can still be an electrical issue.

Otherwise, it has the be the carbuncular not getting enough gas or needing tuning.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:29 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Have you checked for spark?

Old 07-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by mywifesquad
Have you checked for spark?
If you can thoroughly explain how to do it, then I can go check.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:42 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Pull the spark plug... put it back in the plug wire.. hold the end you screw into the engine up against the cylinder/head and crank the engine... do you see spark? is it blue? this works best in the shade than in direct sunlight.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by mywifesquad
Pull the spark plug... put it back in the plug wire.. hold the end you screw into the engine up against the cylinder/head and crank the engine... do you see spark? is it blue? this works best in the shade than in direct sunlight.
Hey,

I just saw your post now while I was signing on to update this thread on the situation.

I took apart the carburetor and ensured gas was going to the carburetor since it wasn't last time. Then, I tightened up the spark plug a bit as well.

The engine is starting and revving up but quickly dying. This leads me to believe it is not an issue with the spark plug.

My guess is that I need to continually crank the engine and rev it while playing with the throttle and choke.

However, one quick question, not quite sure if it was coincidental or not but it appeared that once I took the wires off of the battery after I got it started, the engine would die? But I do remember taking the wires off and the engine was running fine so that may eliminate this question. I just wanted to ensure if I was one hundred percent sure that the engine was running when I disconnected the wires from the battery.

Normally, once you get the engine started, the electrical system should have nothing to do with it thereafter. Am I mistaken?

My overall diagnosis is that I should charge up all of my batteries using a battery charger then continue to crank the engine since it seems like its just trying to shoot some of the crap out since it has been sitting for a while.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

On a properly working quad the battery charging system will still maintain the 12 volt stuff if the battery is disconnected. Thus with a running engine everything should work fine.

If your ignition system is powered off moderately high voltage AC power from the stator, then even if you battery charging system is flat dead the engine will run fine off its own separate ignition power supply.

However, if your charging system isn't working, and your ignition system is powered off 12 volts DC, then if you disconnect the battery the quad will die due to lack of spark.

So I suspect your battery charging system is not working, and your CDI is 12 volt DC powered. You'll need to fix the battery charging system. Batteries that sit around at anything below being fully charged are damaged and quickly ruined.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

On your first post (the one with all the pictures) I count 9 pictures.

On picture 7 of 9 there is a six pin connector in the center of the picture. I see 2 or maybe 3 pins that look like they have backed out of the connector housing (Blue/White, Black/Red, and Red). Note how the Green/White, and Yellow wires are fully seated in the housing. Those wires that are backed out is a problem since they could be making intermittent contact.

The Black/Red and Blue/White would be the AC Ignition Power, and the Timing trigger pulse to the CDI. Both of these would prevent spark. The red (maybe pink) wire is probably part of the battery charging system. Look at these carefully. This might explain some of your problems.

I also note that the presence of then black/red wire coming out of your stator contradicts my previous post about your CDI possibily being DC powered ...