3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

Negative battery wire

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negative battery wire

Hey all. I just picked up a used 110 cc atv for my little guy. I'm pretty sure that it is a gio hummer. I was told that it hadn't been run in a couple years and that the starter was just replaced before it was parked.

I took the battery off to charge it up and started looking around the quad to familiarize myself with it. I have not yet tried to start it because I ran into a problem I have not been able to find a solution for. The negative battery wire is not hooked up to anything. It was run into the Stator Coil cover, but I can't see where it would hook up to in there. The wire has a loop crimped on the end of it, the kind that goes over a post or bolt.

If anyone can tell me where the wire is supposed to go, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Trenton

Old 07-05-2011, 08:00 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Ground it to any place on the frame... be sure to scrape off the paint where you bolt it up... the coil mount would be a good place..

Old 07-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, but I didn't know if there was a specific spot set up for it already.

Trenton

Old 07-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would run the ground to the engine, not the frame. Starters draw a lot of current, and you want the return current flow to be as direct as possible back to the battery from the starter motor.

Engines are connected to the frame of course, but often with just small ground wires (inadequate for starter motor current), and with things that shouldn't carry current at all (chains, axle bearings, etc.). Engine mounts often are insulated with rubber shock grommets, so that doesn't provide an adequate return path either.