1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Monsoon 90cc atv

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon 90cc atv

I just got a monsoon 90cc atv (2000 model) off craigslist. Its all there and previous owner claimed it ran 2 years ago but i cant get it to fire (wiring is all jacked up) does anyone have any information on re-wiring this thing? somone added a start button to it and several wires are twisted together. Also where is a good source for parts for these? i have a kazuma 110cc 4 stroke and its WAY to small for my son (he's 9) and this has 8" wheels brakes on both ends (kazuma rear brakes only) and the suspension seems descent. Im assuming that the 2-stroke 90 has alot more power. (110 4stroke wont go up a hill) anyway is the CDI module compatible with the kazuma? also the kick start lever is missing where can i find one? are these things worth a crap? or did i waste my $ hell i dont even know if its a china quad or not? can't seem to find much info on these things other than yerf dog made them.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As I recall these have strange CDIs which aren't compatible when the generic chinese CDIs (like the kazuma). They are also hard to find.

I'm pretty sure there are some threads on this forum (and probably others) about Monsoon ignition problems.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:33 AM
Trailblazer

It apears that there are 4 wires comming off the magneto and 4 wires off the cdi. if i have to rewire it anyway cant i just get a new plug and wire in one of the generic cdi's? the wiring on this thing is totaly screwed up! they had added a pushbutton and the handlebar switch and key switch arent even hooked up!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

It is possible to make a "pigtail" to a newer syle cdi. i'll Post a pic later. I had to do it on a yerf dog 90.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by BWBuer
It is possible to make a "pigtail" to a newer syle cdi. i'll Post a pic later. I had to do it on a yerf dog 90.
That's good to know . It shows that the trigger polarity and timing is the same (something I worried about). Did you use the existing ignition coil with the new CDI? The coil and CDI are tuned pair. If the existng coil worked it says the Monsoon CDI and the generic CDI have roughly the same value storage capacitance in them.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by jacob_royer
It apears that there are 4 wires comming off the magneto and 4 wires off the cdi. if i have to rewire it anyway cant i just get a new plug and wire in one of the generic cdi's? the wiring on this thing is totaly screwed up! they had added a pushbutton and the handlebar switch and key switch arent even hooked up!
Since BWBuer has done it, and it works, that is the way I would go if it were me. Let's wait for his pic's...

In the mean time here are some links to other monsoon related threads. You may have to read down into them to see the relevance...

http://forums.atvconnection.com/kids...-90-parts.html

http://forums.atvconnection.com/kids...g-diagram.html

http://forums.atvconnection.com/kids...thing-lol.html

Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer

I also need to know where i can find a starter? and a kick start lever (missing) starter is not engaging just spinning when you hit the button. used to engage! err! perhaps i should take it apart and clean it?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Trailblazer

Ok some moron had the battery cables on backwords! could this have fried the CDI and or coil? how can i test them? i have a meter. Still not getting spark.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Electrical Expert

With your starter spinning, but not engaging the engine, I was going to say your starter clutch is slipping. But of course if the starter is wired backwards it would spin backwards, and that would put the starter clutch into the freewheel direction. That explains that.

The question is whether you have an AC powered CDI or a DC powered CDI. The wiring diagram from the earlier post shows an AC powered CDI, whether it is accurate or not remains to be seen. BWBuer's post also suggests that the CDI is AC powered. If so, the CDI is not hooked up to the battery in any way, so the backwards battery connection would have nothing to do with no spark.

How many and what color wires connect to the stator? How many and what color wires are at the CDI? Note: Use the wire colors in the wire harness, not the wire colors of any short pigtails going into the individual parts like the stator.

The idea here is to first figure out what wires are what, then formulate a testing plan.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Trailblazer

Cdi. Orange. Black. Black with white stripe. Black with red stripe. White with red stripe

Stator; black with red stripe. White with red stripe. Yellow with red stripe. Black . White

Quick Reply: Monsoon 90cc atv