1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

110 "Coolster" , gas & spark but no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any luck?

Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No luck yet there Lord Vokk. We took it to "the shop" as I was at my wits end with it. The mech called us and said it gets compression and was gonna try a coil. Haven't heard back yet about that "try". It got spark but it seemed weak to me so am hopeful it is the coil.
I will surely post back with its resolution.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Ok,,,so the shop has had the quad for a few weeks...1st "idea" theu had was a new coil...they hooked it up and said "it fried the coil"...hhhmmmm...ok, (i never talked directly to the mech...GF did) but what is fried? It had a , seemingly weak spark but spark. They thinking a short somewhere...at a loss on tis prob...I mean i can take it apart slowly examining the wires as i go but if they are off there rocker on the problem then it'd be a general wste of time....ideas?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Have you checked the kill switch and all of the safety switches and their wires? thats the most common problem with mine

Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

We are gonna give them a bit more time...it got spark, got fuel...should start....so if they cant figure it out we will begin a systematic disassembly after checking voltages adn such i read here...pulse triggers and such...voltages at the CDI.

Just crazy how it ran fine then wouldnt restart

Old 02-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm having the same problem with both of mine. I pulled the air cleaner apart and sprayed starting fluid in there. Mine runs with starting fluid but as soon as it runs out it quits running. That tells me it's getting spark normally and it's got fuel in the tank. If I disconnect the fuel line at the filter, fuel runs out. I would have to conclude that it is not sending the fuel to the carb. What would cause this?

Old 02-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1984bigblock
I'm having the same problem with both of mine. I pulled the air cleaner apart and sprayed starting fluid in there. Mine runs with starting fluid but as soon as it runs out it quits running. That tells me it's getting spark normally and it's got fuel in the tank. If I disconnect the fuel line at the filter, fuel runs out. I would have to conclude that it is not sending the fuel to the carb. What would cause this?
you have dirty jets. pull the carb off, clean the jets. every orifice has to be clean, c l e a n.......CLEAN. all of the holes have to be clean, even down the center of the jet. make sure you can see daylight through every hole in the jet and down it, axially. put it back together, start it up and have fun.

The following users liked this post:
Ridin51 (12-23-2021)
Old 03-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default security system box...can it go away?

OK, So I got the quad back from the mechanics...thats what THEY call themselves, not my adjective for them.
Still dead, and even more dead, ...So I ordered a new CDI, coil, voltage reg.
I tested the voltages TO the CDI, (5 wire w/ green plug) 80 or so AC volts in, trigger voltage right. I cleaned every ground surface where a screw would go to ground, So when the new parts arrive I will install them..see what happens.
Before the mechanics touched it It wouldnt even run on straight ether so despite its getting a weak spark it wasn't even enough to fire off ether...So lets see once the parts arrive. I thought 20 bucks delivered wasnt too bad for all those parts.

Now question#2...what is this? It says "security system" on it...can it be giving me problems? We don't have a fob for it so its of no use (seemingly). would disconnecting it confuse the CDI?

(hhhmmmm where is the attach pic link?)

Old 03-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY
OK, So I got the quad back from the mechanics...thats what THEY call themselves, not my adjective for them.
Still dead, and even more dead, ...So I ordered a new CDI, coil, voltage reg.
I tested the voltages TO the CDI, (5 wire w/ green plug) 80 or so AC volts in, trigger voltage right. I cleaned every ground surface where a screw would go to ground, So when the new parts arrive I will install them..see what happens.
Before the mechanics touched it It wouldnt even run on straight ether so despite its getting a weak spark it wasn't even enough to fire off ether...So lets see once the parts arrive. I thought 20 bucks delivered wasnt too bad for all those parts.

Now question#2...what is this? It says "security system" on it...can it be giving me problems? We don't have a fob for it so its of no use (seemingly). would disconnecting it confuse the CDI?

(hhhmmmm where is the attach pic link?)
Be sure to try a new plug too. Plugs will often spark fine outside the engine at ambient pressure, but no spark when installed and under pressure from the compression stroke.

Go ahead and disconnect the remote. The quad works fine without it, though you will lose the ability to shut off the quad with the ignition switch, You will need to use the handlebar kill switch instead. You can restore the ability to shut off the quad with the ignition switch by adding a jumper to the remote module connector if you want, but I would get the quad running first.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

110 coolster? What company makes this bike!

Quick Reply: 110 "Coolster" , gas & spark but no start