1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Marshin MHT-200 no spark??? Back to the drawing board

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marshin MHT-200 no spark??? Back to the drawing board

Well, I HAD it running...rode it around for half an hour Tuesday night. Went to start it Wednesday and no spark again. Was able to determine in short order (Thanks Lynn!) that I had no output from the CDI to the coil. The 12VDC supply was there. Have yet to be able to pick up the trigger signal. I have never had a problem with this unit since 2007. Very well maintained and never ridden hard. The only common ground I can see is that since I put a battery maintainer on it (hard wired with plug) all this started to happen. Found a DC CDI and before I install it, the maintainer wires are coming back off! Could be that trying to start it with out unhooking the maintainer is spiking the voltage, although a call to the maintainer manufacturer assured me this COULD NOT happen. Can't find any skinned wires that could be shorting out. I guess time (and a new CDI) will tell. Gawd, I love my good used Kodiak I picked up last week!

Denny

Old 10-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dang

Since this maybe a new problem I would start with the basic tests all over again:

To troubleshoot no spark problems on a 6 pin DC powered CDI it makes sense to start in the middle (the CDI), measure as much as we can and branch out from there. For the CDI to do its thing it needs power, a trigger pulse, and it must not be inhibited via the kill switch input pin.

1) Unplug the CDI. Turn the ignition switch on. Set all kill switches the the "run" position. In the wiring harness, look to see if you have a wire on the kill switch pin. If you do, measure the resistance of the kill switch pin to the ground pin on the 20K ohm scale. It should read infinite ohms (same as when the meter leads are hanging free and not touching anything). It should not read zero ohms (shorted).

2) Leave the CDI unplugged, and the ignition switch in the "on" position. Use a meter to measure the DC voltage on the pin labeled "AC ignition power" in the wiring harness to the ground wire on the 2K ohm scale. You should read battery voltage (12 volts). What do you measure?

3) Leave the CDI unplugged. Use a meter to measure the resistance of the "Ignition Trigger Pulse" pin in the wiring harness to the ground wire on the 2K ohm scale. You should read approximately 150 ohms. What do you measure?

4) Set your meter down to the lowest scale you have for measuring AC volts. 2 volts would be ideal, but some meters don't go that low. In that case use the lowest scale you have. While cranking the engine, measure the voltage on the Ignition Trigger Pulse pin in the wiring harness to the ground pin. You should measure 0.2 to 0.5 volts AC. What do you measure?

5) Now plug the CDI back in. Measure the AC voltage on the Ignition Coil pin to the ground pin using the 200 volt scale. If you have to, use a sewing pin to poke through the wire insulation and then put the meter probe on the sewing pin. But don't hold your fingers on the connection during the next test - there may be high voltage here when the engine is turning. With the ignition on and all kill switches set to the "run" position, crank the starter motor. You should see voltages bouncing around at random values and the meter captures all or part of a spark event. What do you see?

Old 10-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the DC CDI from e-bay did the trick. It's slightly smaller than the OEM and didn't mount up to both of the "holder prongs" so I fear it's going to bounce around and maybe off. Cross that bridge when I come to it (wire ties are the duct tape of the new century!)We'll see how long it runs before another electrical problem rears it's ugly head.

Denny

Old 10-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad it's running again .