Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Jet 150 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet 150 upgrade

Ok since I got the jet150 charging once again, we figured we better improve the headlight on this unit. So the easiest thing if figured was to just mount a headlight on the handle bars like my old Honda.

I have several of these type of lights sitting in my shop so we just went with it. I checked the amp draw and it was about the same as the stock headlights @ about 4amps. It is waaaaaaaay better at night then those stock ones and cheaper too this one here I think I paid $12 bucks for it on sale. The bulb alone on my old Honda was $20 bucks from the dealer. Also I noticed the vibration is not bad either where its mounted. Will see how it stands up.

Hey does anyone know what how much load the charging system can handle?? AS we are thinking of adding a thumb warmer to it.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Jet 150 upgrade

The stock lighting is far more for cosmetics than function. I've wanted to upgrade lighting but was planning on using the same housing and finding a direct replacement high intensity bulb or maybe having to mod the housing to fit one in the stock slot. With a four amp draw on your new lighting that equals about 48 watts. The schematic shows a stock 35w bulb which would be about 3 amps. If the magneto is keeping up with the new light that is great as I am sure there are high intensity lights that pull less current.

One of the ideas I've been thinking about is using a couple of the new 3watt Luxeon white LEDs. These are extremely bright and offer super clean and white light. They are costly but run very cool so no heat issues in the stock housing. I don't know about the stock lens itself, maybe that will be such poor performance that a brighter bulb will not work so well.

Having a external mounted light like yours is for sure the most flexible and adaptable way to go: greatest number of products and most adjustable. Downside it looks a bit tacked on and utilitarian which it is but surely lacking in the cool factor. Maybe up your way riding around in the snow in the dark of winter, there is nobody to give two shi...ts anyway. "-) Out here in nice weather and lots of peer riders always scanning others rigs. cool rules!

btw - looks like you got rid of that second green light. What the hell was that supposed to do anyway? Never could figure it out.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Jet 150 upgrade

Biggest problem with the stock light is that it points 5 feet in front of the atv. It would be nice to have a better light set up, I just don't do much night riding so it has not been a big issue for me yet! Good work on the light!

Old 01-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Jet 150 upgrade

I'll have to have a look again but I thought the Jet 150 used 2 headlight bulbs. I also checked the draw on our 110atv with the raptor style headlights it they had a 1.8 amp draw each.

As for the goofy factor yes it does look out of place....... but its functional!

I'm thinking in the summer we'll just take it off as its only a bolt and unplugging the wires.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Jet 150 upgrade

There are two bulbs. Each is stamped 12v20/20w. A little google shows this bulb to be a T19 bulb and p15d base. A little more searching on these codes shows a whole pile of bulbs which match the size. I saw Xenon and Halogen with base so this may be another route to go to upgrade lighting.

link to bulbs

We don't ride that much at night either but the lights help even during the day for increased visibility and safety at least in the state OHV parks where we ride. Things get pretty crazy on some days and you realize how dangerous the sport is as nearly every time in a span of a few hours, we see the fire truck, paramedic, and stretcher drill strapping someone up and heading off to the hospital.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Jet 150 upgrade

These are great ideas for the headlights; I have wanted to do something on my son's 150. Think I'll give the bulbs a try first. Not to change the subject but has anyone done anything with the break light? Where we have been riding its a little rough and I have to take the break light apart and put the bulb back in. And these kids love to go on night rides.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Jet 150 upgrade

We haven't had a problem yet....with the brake light but I can tell you that new headlight we put on rocks! Its brighter then my old Honda headlight now! We took the jet out for a good ride last night in the dark and it worked great @ -15c.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Jet 150 upgrade

It seems maybe you just need to tighten up the lamp base. Give it a tweak so the bulb fits in tighter. Maybe a little tape to go around the bulb to fit tighter.

Our 150 no longer has the brake light. Dear old Dad rear ended the 150 and it blew apart. What remains is a metal bar with two holes for mounting something new. I have been looking around for a replacement as the Jetmoto replacement is too dear. The bike is a 12v system so there are many many possibilities. It would need to be a dual lamp since it needs to work for taillight and brake light. I've scanned the isles at the local Kragen and Pep Boys; there are many options, just have not selected one as yet.

I was over at Walmart and scanned down the auto isle. They have several very cool looking lights that can work as replacements for the head light. Like Sawyer, they are bracket mounted but quite small units (1.5" x 2" ish) that look quite nice but still have the stuck on look.

I also saw a number of headlight replacement bulbs and I'm pretty sure you can retro fit these in. The concern here is the amount of heat and current draw. A couple looked like 55w, so that might work out but I am wondering how the heat from the bulb would get dispersed inside the stock housing. It seems like it might get hot enough to warp or melt the plastic.

Another idea is modding the stock light housing, removing some portion of the rear housing to retro fit one of the small external lighting units I saw at Walmart. A bracket can be affixed to allow directional adjustment to direct the light wherever you want. Since it is self contained it would disperse the heat and lastly it would fit within the existing body avoiding the tacked on look. This option seems overall the best way to go but takes to most time.

Costs for upgrading bulbs or an external light seem are in the same range. Most time to goes to last option.

You could first try the bulb upgrade and if the heat does not build up that would be a fine solution. If too much heat, return the bulbs (keep that packaging in good shape), and try another option. Let there be light!