1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Seized

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 08:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seized

Purchased used Panther 110 RX4 yesterday. Was told that it would not start. Automatic so did not check rollover prior to purchase. Took it home. Pulled starter and tested. Starter worked fine. Had to pull dry side cover off to pull starter. Found out at that time engine was locked tight. No play whatsoever. With motor still in ATV I pulled flywheel, and gear on crank that starter was attached to (which spun freely, and I do not understand as starter must turn motor over to start) and also pulled circular plate behind revealing roller bearing which was not locked. Pulled clutch off crank on wet side and found roller bearing not locked there either. Unsure where to go from there. Not a motorcycle mechanic so I am unsure what would lock this little engine up so solid with no play in crank at all.

Thanks for any info.

rickbmac

Old 06-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

motor itself is probably seized solid.. possibly took on water and rusted shut or overheated.. pull the jug off and take a look

Old 06-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Seized

Thanks,

Just did not want to wade into that area until I knew for sure that it was not something simple. Have never pulled the top end off of a 4-stroke (timing and such). Not afraid to but that could be my downfall.

Heard that the engines for those are not that expensive and that I could purchase a new one for less than rebuild. If this is true could anyone point me in the right direction? Do not want to drop a lot of money on this as an entire new ATV is not much.

rickbmac

Old 06-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just had this same type of issue with a customer. where I am there are 3 places to purchase new motors for around $300.00 for a 125 cc. in your area you might have to look into it. the engine I had was seized from over heating and required bored new piste, rings and gaskets. the labour itself was $200.00 for the rebuild. anyway hope I help a little

Old 07-01-2014, 06:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Seized

Thanks,

Found a place online that I can order an entire replacement engine. The salesperson said that I could up the atv to 125 cc and this engine would be a direct replacement as far as mounting and dimensions. Also have the ability to have reverse. The only change would be the electrical connection from the stator. It seems that the only thing that I need to watch for was the placement of starter (above or below motor) as this would change mounting location. I was worried that the forward / reverse ability may require additional electrical connection. He said no and that I would have nothing to worry about. Please let me know if this is incorrect and that I have other worries.

A plate on my atv states the brake horsepower on 110cc to be 7.5 horse. The website says that the horsepower of the new 125cc to be 5.7 horse? The only reason that I would increase to 125cc would be to increase horsepower. They also state that their new 110cc only has 5.0 horse. Confused... Is this just the difference in engine producer?

Thanks,

rickbmac

Old 07-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

horse power ratings are all in how interprets the readings and conditions in which the tests are done. for me no replacement for displacement. I have changed 90, 110 to 125's with no problem from the supplier I use. reverse as far as I know there is no wiring except some models have a reverse indicator on the dash but this is not needed. one thing I had problem with was the left plastic foot protecter will need to be cut or changed for the shifter if you have a semi automatic but if yours is standard nothing to worry about. the wiring might be have a different plug but the functions will be the same. If I was doing it I would remove the stator from both engines and see if the seized stator will fit in the new engine. this is a bit easier than cutting wires and soldering but maybe the way you might have to go.
hope that helped

Old 07-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Seized

The motor is an automatic although the plastic foot rest may be cut. As long as stator will interchange method sounds great. As far as the indicators go my grandchildren will operate so I will just purchase dummy lights. Now I will just search for the best price. So far that is on E-bay. Can get new engine for about $285 free shipping. If this is the way to go then I will save up for the next couple of weeks and order. If someone may know of better prices I would appreciate the info.

Thanks,

Rick

Old 07-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

as far as ebay for buying one I would ask the forum to see if anyone has a ideas. the engines I am thinking of are semi automatic with a lever shift the extends from the shifter at the bottom of the engine to the top of the tank. you may need to get a shifter if you decide to buy one with reverse. best of luck

Old 07-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Found another engine

Found another engine.

Can save $100 dollars compared to purchasing a exact fit 125cc online.

Thing is I do not know anything about this engine other than it is also brand new in the packaging. It is also a 125cc but it is Zongo. Was told that it is clutch style as opposed to fully automatic. The picture looks exactly like the engine I have on this atv except for it looks as though it may also have a kickstart along with the electric starter.

Do now know what it will entail to change over to a clutch engine if the atv did not have one to begin with.

Looking for input. Will not purchase engine if this will be more of a headache than it is worth.

Thanks,

Rick