1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Loncin 110 - new battery not charging - Help Plse Lynn??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 11:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loncin 110 - new battery not charging - Help Plse Lynn??

Working on a 110 quad. Brand new battery (Parts Unlimited) and a new voltage regulator installed (4 pin). Took it out today and ran it for about 15 minutes, driving here and there and went to restart and battery was dead. Had to jump it off my truck each time.

Once jumped it ran fine, even with lights on but the minute it was turned off I would barely get a few cranks out of it and I was jumping again. Plugged the old regulator back in tonight but suspect the same issue was happening before as well. (it showed up as a broken atv)

This mean the stator is bad? Tonight I checked the battery it was down around 11.89 volts. I am charging it now and want to tinker with it tomorrow, what tests should I run? I have a very nice voltage tester but not too knowledgeable with wiring.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With it running what are the volts? Did you charge your new battery what were the volts? Before we can help we would need the answers to those questions.
Sitting not running everything off a charged battery should have about 12.2 volts running it should have more up to 14.1 depending on the needs of the battery and rpm of the motor not more, overcharging is as bad as not charging.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Will start it today and check. It was a fully charged new battery before I took it out yesterday. I charged it last night and will run it today and see what its reading.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did the tests. These were on a fully charged new battery and tests at battery leads with a very good Ideal meter. All in total the machine ran for about 10 minutes while the tests were being performed:

12.89 volts with machine off (fully charged)

12.79 volts running with no lights @ idle

14 volts running with no lights - (@ half throttle)

12.49 volts running with no lights and REGULATOR DISCONNECTED @ idle

12.17 volts with head lights on @ idle - (voltage dropping slowly as time passed)

11.63 volts with head lights on (high beams) @ idle

12.24 volts with head lights on @ half throttle no real increases beyond that.

12.67 volts - after all the above tests with everything off and about 5 minutes of cooling off

ALL the above tests done with the original voltage regulator and a new one I had here - both consistent with one another +/- .05 volts as I swapped one out for the other. - so really the same.

SO - Is the stator charging coil not delivering enough volts ?? Help

Old 04-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

I'd raise your idle a bit but watch it don't run away on ya if it is a forward only.The biggest problem I had with the little ones is the kids shut em off and start em so much and don't ride em far enough or long enough to charge em up. The machine seems to be charging.
If the machine is a hard start or rather slow crank after it heats up check your static timing if you can and make sure your grounds are good. You may have a bad starter or the motor might be getting to hot?

Old 04-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by brumbear
I'd raise your idle a bit but watch it don't run away on ya if it is a forward only.The biggest problem I had with the little ones is the kids shut em off and start em so much and don't ride em far enough or long enough to charge em up. The machine seems to be charging.
If the machine is a hard start or rather slow crank after it heats up check your static timing if you can and make sure your grounds are good. You may have a bad starter or the motor might be getting to hot?
Thanks, but the idle is as high as it can go with the centriifical clutch. The battery died after riding it anyway, not after idling. Its not the starter, works and starts fine when its jumped off my truck.

Its something with the charging system, it should never run below 12 volts even with lights on. I will check grounds though, anyone know a test for checking the stator? I am losing adequate power to the battery that seems for certain but why ?

Old 04-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

It's gotta be the VR then because if it's running up to 14v at half throttle the stator is working. You are sure all the grounds are good? If it's discharging at idle and the idle is high perhaps the VR has a bad component in it? Sorry man that is a weird one. Where are you located if you are in North Jersey I'd even stop by and see if we can get it fixed?
Dave

Old 04-07-2014, 01:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am in Canada. Not convinced its the regulator as I have a brand new one and its doing the same as the stock one. Is there a test for these little regulators?

Is there a way to test the charging coil attached to the stator? I read somewhere these often generate closer to 20 volts and the regulator/rectifier brings it back to the 13.8 required for charging.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

anyone?

Old 04-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

well what do we know?
The starter works
the cdi works
the stator works with NO LOAD
the VR is new
Perhaps 1 leg of the stator IF it's 3 phase is burnt out?
Perhaps the stator is failing under heat?
I would hook a volt meter up to it and ride it around for 10min and see where my volts stay it has to be discharging pretty good at some point?

Quick Reply: Loncin 110 - new battery not charging - Help Plse Lynn??