1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

lifan 50cc quad acting strange please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifan 50cc quad acting strange please help!!!

right here goes guys

i bought my son a lifan 50cc quad the other day,

i changed the oil new spark plug get new air filter, made sure that the carb is tuned right the problem im having with it is it runs fine while its cold but as soon as she warms up she starts crunching gears and hanging up on its self like really jumps when i hit the throttle.

any one out there know if its a clutch that needs replacing?

i havent had a look at the clutch as of yet as its fine when shes cold, was thinking it could be a valve prob and not venting right and causing it getting to hot it feels like some things catching an it jolts but she will idle just fine ???

many thanks and hope to find some help here

Old 02-20-2014, 05:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Right so ive changed the clutch and its not that slipping or sticking, what should i next would it be the coil pack on it. Could it be breaking down and causing a intermittent spark when warm ??? im really looking for some help please help people point me in the right direction

Old 02-20-2014, 05:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watch the chain see if it jumps heavy it may be the output shaft or final gears in the trans I had this problem with 2 chinese quads.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:50 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

are you riding it when cold? I had a issue a while back when i got my little one her 110. someone had converted it to a track drive using snow blower parts. I had converted it back but kept the same sprocket on it and had just changed the chain. I was having issue with the chain skipping so i changed the front sprocket and that seemed to solve the problem until the machine had a adult on it then it would do it again. Changed the rear sprocket as it was way under geared and thought it may be the problem. this just made it worse. come to find out the rear sprocket was the wrong size for the chain causing the chain to walk up on the teeth. Was a easy fix

Old 02-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply's

I always start it up let it warm up or 10 mins it has the original sprockets an chain on it, it still does it even with my 6 year old on it. it does it when it warms up up when cold she shifts gears fine, im thinking the stator,cdi and coil could be at fault.
(but it only ever does it once its warmed up, when cold she runs like a dream)
ive checked for metal in the oil when i have done oil changes but all seams ok there, just put a new clutch in and spark plug.

oil i put in is 10w40 semi synthetic 4 stroke oil(could this be to thin)

Ill check the ware on the sprockets but im sure there ok. Ill have a look and find the specs of what they should be and go from there i guess

thanks again for the replys

Old 02-21-2014, 05:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

what a nube i am i think its more like the break fluid is really low an that the break is rubbing content an getting hot then when i stop to change riders they locking up causing this problem. Im gonna change pads an top up fluid see if that helps.

lets hope this works