1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

TaoTao 125D Won't start/stay running

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TaoTao 125D Won't start/stay running

Just purchased 2 new 125cc TaoTao. I knew I was running a risk with a Chinese quad but did not forsee having issues right out of the gate! Do these things NOT run in cold weather?! One of them took forever to get going and once I got it going my child will drive it to a friends house and 20 minutes later they are calling me saying it wont start so I have to tow it home. It will either not start unless I put it back on the charger or it will straight up die in the middle of riding it. It has spent more time on the charger than on the road. The other one wont even start. The battery has been charging for almost 2 days. It will turn over for about 15 seconds and then the battery dies. Havent even been able to get that one started. swapped batteries, that didnt work...bought a NEW batter, that didnt work. Suggestions?!

Old 02-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cdi needs a working stator to keep it running once the battery dies thats it, get it started and check if it's charging should be at 13.5 volts running give or take 12.7 sitting not running. These are notorious for shytty connections so first check that. I wish the Better Biusness Burea would stop tao tao from doing business here. I lost a lot of money with those junks. The last one I have, I bought 6 to get dealer pricing and only the 110 were good and 125 were close to good, I yanked the motor out of and I am jamming a harbor frieght motor with a hilliard clutch into for shyts and giggles.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brumbear...thanks for info! Live and learn I guess! I went this route because it was our first purchase of ATVs for our kids so we went the cheap route in order to get them each their own. Unfortunately I am not all that mechanical which makes this purchase even dumber! I don't have a volt meter and really don't wanna have to buy one but I guess I don't have a choice. I almost wanna return these and eat the restocking fee! Might have bit off more than I can chew on these. Connections appear to look ok. Replacing plugs to see if that helps. Not sure where to go from there

Old 02-09-2014, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it and buy Kymco or Eaton they are 1 billion times better specked than the lower tier chinese stuff I kid you not.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Im assuming since it was new did you do the initial charge on the battery? Im assuming since you got dealer pricing they probably came to u with some assembly required? What are you using for a battery charger? Im using G1100 | Genius Battery Chargers and in a few hours my battery's are up to full charge. I would go over every connection you can find. I had issues with one where when i plugged in the connector one of the pins would push out. Was hard to find as it was in a bad spot to see.
are the chokes working on them? the one i have the choke does not work and i will just about kill the battery to get it started in cold weather. then i have to let it idle for at least 5 min before i can move it with out issues. Once its nice and warm its good to go. The other one with the choke working is still a bit of a bear to get started in the cold but does start much easier.
I would start looking at carb and choke adjustments..