1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

2013 Mountopz 125cc nothing but a headache please help

Old 10-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Mountopz 125cc nothing but a headache please help

I bought this quad off craigslist for my nephew's birthday. The person I bought it off of said that they bought it new from a dealer in June and that it had very low hours. I started it up rode it around his yard to make sure it was alright everything seemed in order. This was the first week of September, It sat for 3 weeks until my nephew's birthday. he got on it for not even 10 minutes and it died. checked everything found no spark. internet searches seemed to point to CDI, bought a new CDI and coil since I didn't want to risk it and have my nephew dissapointed for another week waiting for parts. waited the week and a half to get the parts, put them on and it started up. My nephew drove it for an hour and put it away, 4 days later it started in the morning but when my nephew got there in the afternoon it would not start again. have spark and fuel but no start. I can not figure this thing out. It has definitely burned me on china **** and have since rethought my looking at china enduros. but I need to get this thing up and going for my nephew. I have sunk $600 into this and I can't afford to get something else. Please please please help me figure out how to get this thing up and running and stay running.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:01 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Is it sitting outside uncovered? These things do not like rain. They put the cdi right where the water runs down the wire. If u have spark it can only be 2 things fuel or air. Did u check fuel shut off? If u have it crack the fuel drain on the carb see if u have fuel flowing. I would not be surprised if something got sucked into the carb and plugged it. U can always try a squirt bottle with fuel and see if u can get it running. These will give u a starting point

If u don't have one get a fuel filter on it.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

nope, it is in a garage. I have sprayed starter fluid directly into it and i still get no fire. it is like the spark is going off at the wrong time.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

do you have a good strong spark? your having similar issues like me.. On mine i had spark got it running then nothing. Pulled the kill switch pin out of cdi and got it running again then it quit again a few days later. I had a week spark and it actually would not jump the plug gap it would only jump to ground. I could never get mine running with starting fluid it would not even catch only way i could get it started at first is a squirt bottle of fuel.. Does it sound like its trying to start at all? Do you have a way to check compression? what does the oil look like? is the engine flooding when you are trying to start? you could have something stuck in the carb causing eater a low fuel issue or a flooding issue.
Don't give up on the Chinese stuff. i bought a little 110 for my daughter that somebody had put a homemade track kit on it and just abused and Jerry rigged everything. Including tires and rims i have $150 into this thing and it runs like a top never misses a beat. Only thing i put into it was a new cdi since it was my fault the old one crapped out. Now im putting all new plastics on it and lights and still will have far less than a new one and way less than a brand name..

Old 10-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

spark is in the gap, I smell gas in the exhaust pipe after I drain the battery trying to turn it over so much. there is no hint that it is even trying to start other than the started motor turning the engine. CDI and coil are both new. it is like the timing jumped and it is now sparking on the wrong stroke. do these have a position sensor?

Old 10-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Trailblazer

Hello, Sorry for your frustration, But if you are getting spark, fuel and air and still wont start, Have you looked at your valves or adjusted the valves? The nuts might have loosened making the valves tight and not opening. There is a good write up here observing that some honda copy engines goes to 2 revolutions per tdc when adjusting.
Sometimes just observing it while you crank and you dont see the gap will tell you.
Sorry for the long winded answer.