1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

blowing fuses

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blowing fuses

Hello I have a Chinese 150(tank model). It sat in field then was given to me the electric start has never worked but after cleaning carbs, plug, oil it would start in 1 or 2 kicks even in the winter. I ride it all the time runs great. Kicked it one day and the kicker got stuck. Took apart, gears are all stripped and a pin snapped. So i took a battery out and hooked it up to see if i could jump it. It will jump and start right up with wrench or piece of wire. I searched internet for a way to wire a switch and did. I found instructions to wire a push switch into the safety switch wire that runs from the brake lever to the taillight and the other side into the solenoid. Did that but now it will turn over slowly then blow a fuse. It has started a couple of times with the new switch but wires get warm and then fuse pops. All connections appear to be solid and clean. Any insight to what is wrong or any other way to wire in a push button switch would be great. I do not care about safety switches i know they are there for a reason but i am the only one to use this machine and have been riding since i was 2 and am over 30 now. THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE

Old 09-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you got a hot wire going to ground. the fuse is designed to be the "weak link" and sacrifice before burning up a more expensive component. SO, look through your wiring, probably what you installed, but somewhere on the full starting circuit, that is going to ground. whether the wiring jacket is cut or rubbed a hole in or is kinked, that is what you're looking for. NOW, if it is getting that hot, then you may have a too small of a gauge of wire to handle the amperage of the starting circuit. check it out with your eyes and a multimeter/ohm meter.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your help while i was waiting for a reply i found a loose connection in one of the white plugs fixed that and fires right up, not bad for a free atv. looks like the tank lives on.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good deal!