1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

vBike 250cc wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vBike 250cc wont start

I have a vbike 250cc. Was running great as of a month ago. Hauled it 20 miles over to my new property and attempted to start it up. It turns over just fine but fails to actually start. Similar to what you would expect if you tried to start the atv with no gas(yes, I made sure there was gas in the tank and reserve is not on). If I take the air filter off and spray carburetor cleaner in the carburetor, it will start very briefly but dies. I can take pictures, audio, video whatever would be most helpful as I am sure that my verbiage in this post could be a lot clearer and accurate.
Thanks for any help. Let me know any other details if needed.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

forgive me, but is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke?
did you close the petcock valve before transporting it?
if not, and it's 4 stroke, check your crankcase for gasoline contamination as it is now really flooded and you don't want to blow it up. 2 strokes may take a while to crank out if flooded.
it does kind of sound like you're describing a fuel delivery issue though. that pilot jet could be plugged if you bought ethanol rich fuel. might be time to clean it. can't imagine it plugging off in just a month! wow, i've never had that happen. fuel filter plugged?

Old 04-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

No worries, I should have mentioned it. It is a 4-stroke. I did NOT close the valve or put it on reserve prior to transporting it. Strange, as I have trailered it on much longer drives with no issue, but there is always that one off lol.

I will check these items first thing tomorrow morning:
-crankcase for gasoline contamination
-pilot jet could be plugged
-fuel filter plugged

Thank you for the quick reply!! Much appreciated.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what it boils down to on the petcock valve is this: the bike/quad will bounce around during transportation. thus causing the float to bounce up/down which activates the needle valve and lets gasoline into the float bowl. it goes one of two places. it either backs into the airfilter box, of which haven't seen, or it goes into the cylinder, passes the piston and into the crankcase. yessir, that'll be enough to **** you off when you show up to ride, find that issue and have no engine oil on you to do a quick oil change on the spot. . plus you don't want to wash out your bearings.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Trailblazer

Definitely sounds fuel related since spraying into intake makes it fire. Is fuel getting into carb, my first action would be to take hose off top of carb and make sure fuel is running through it