1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Daymak 260

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daymak 260

I just got a used Daymak. 260CC Liquid cooled. When throttle is applied, regardless of gear, it boggs out and dies. I can maintain reving, but once throttle is passed a certain point it dies. Has anyone experienced this before? PLEASE TELL ME ITS REPAIRABLE!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-08-2013, 06:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

more than likely it's a fuel delivery issue. clean the main jet. it's partially clogged/plugged. you may also have a vacuum leak on the intake boot. but it sounds like a jet problem. yes it is very repairable.

use this video as a guide. your carb may not be identical but the principle is the same. don't use a drill on the screws!

Old 05-03-2013, 04:19 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the video! Cleaned the carb, and is running
However, there are electrical issues that need to be repaired.

I've looked everywhere for information/wiring diagram for my ATV. With absolutely no luck. I have basic mechanics knowledge, and this is just a hobby project. Is there a simple way of explaining flow of electrical current?

Thanks again!

Old 05-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

explain your electrical issues. we'll work it out.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for wanting to help!
It looks as though previous owner has done some requiring and bypassing. As it stands I have display but speedometer and odometer are not working. Also no indication of gear.

There are multiple relays that look corroded. How can I repair these connections. Also appears some wires have been cut flush with relay (I keep saying relay but term may not be correct). White connectors that have multiple varying outputs.

Also the key problem I noticed with electrical is sometimes I get no power to display or starter. I have checked connection at the ignition, starter and battery. Wires seem to be in good condition. It is an intermittent problem.

Any guidance would help!

Old 05-04-2013, 06:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jplumber
Thanks for wanting to help!
It looks as though previous owner has done some requiring and bypassing. As it stands I have display but speedometer and odometer are not working. Also no indication of gear.

There are multiple relays that look corroded. How can I repair these connections. Also appears some wires have been cut flush with relay (I keep saying relay but term may not be correct). White connectors that have multiple varying outputs.

Also the key problem I noticed with electrical is sometimes I get no power to display or starter. I have checked connection at the ignition, starter and battery. Wires seem to be in good condition. It is an intermittent problem.

Any guidance would help!
intermittent issues may mean a pinched/kinked wire. could be broken inside of wire jacket/insulation. have to narrow that one down with a tug test.
if corrosion can't be cleaned with baking soda, coca cola, or coffee and a toothbrush, it would need to be replaced.
white connectors are the quick connects for the wiring harness. sometimes the pins(wiring connections) can come loose and not make good contact within the quick connect.
power would to display would come through the key. trace that wire to check terminations. out of the key, trace wire to solenoid to starter. make sure battery voltage is adequate or it won't activate solenoid.
i don't know if your quad has the safety interlock for cranking the engine. SO, check the brake switch to make sure it works and illuminates the brake light. also, check the kill switch on the lefthandlebar slider switch. .
gear selection, look down where the gear selector connects to the tranny/gearbox. do you see a plastic "box" that may connect to the actuator? if so, is it making contact or is the wiring intact? are you sure the light bulbs work on your dash for gear indication?
just asking.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Trailblazer

Wow... You really know your quads!

Ok. So I ride it last night for an hour, then it just died. No power battery was dead?

What would be the reason for this even if it was DC it should stay running right?

Ill do a check on wiring today. How do I repair the quick connects? Can I just splice wires? If so I've seen a couple connectors that have 3 or 4 wires on the one side but only 2 or 3 on the other side. The wires should all connect back to the same color?

I have looked everywhere for a wiring diagram with no avail.
I could post pictures if it would help!

Old 05-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yeah, post pics. pics worth 1,000 words or so....give or take

Old 05-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer

Ok having problems posting pics

So...... I'm limited to my explanations. My ultimate goal is to rewire entirely. That's why a diagram would be useful. Is there a way of rewiring without extreme difficulty? My intentions are to install new "red" wire from battery to stater to starter. I think that is the sequence at any rate.

How do I ensure that I have a good ground. (I'm a plumber not an electrician, so be as condescending as needed). I do have a meter, but am limited to my skill with it.

I appreciate all the help!
Thanks again!

Old 05-05-2013, 06:21 AM
Trailblazer

I have found best ground is from negative side of battery to the engine, I ground mine where the starter motor bolts on.

Have a look under the bonnet of your car, you will find a large strap from negative side of battery to engine block or head

Quick Reply: Daymak 260