1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

For Lynn Edwards

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For Lynn Edwards

Sup bro
We were discussing my kazuma 2 cylinder 250 before christmas. I said I had 1 coil wire coming from my cdi that 'Y's into 2 coils. You asked me to confirm and I told you I'd look next time I got the chance.

Ok my cdi is 6 pin A/C powered and it has exactly 6 wires going to it.If you arange it like you always picture it with the 2 wire connector on the right the wires are as follows
2 pin connector: top/kill wire red/blk, bottom/power wire blk/red
4 pin connector: top left/pulse wire yel/blue, top right/coil wire yel/blk both bottom/grnd wires are green

I traced the wires from the cdi but they disappeared into a large harness that I couldn't split open, so I looked at the coils each had a yel/blk over a green. I took my multimeter set it to the contitnuity beeper touched 1 end to the yel/blk wire on the cdi other end to the yel/blk wire on the coils. Both read 0.00-0.01 miliohms. So I took the meter from coil to coil.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Range Rover
Default ran outta room

Again it showed contitnuity and read 0.00-0.01 miliohms. So best I can tell yes I have 1 wire coming from the cdi that 'Y's into 2 coils somewhere in the harness.

Sorry It took so long to reply but I don't have a garage and it dumped almost a foot of snow on christmas. It didn't melt for 9 days, 2 days later it started raining finally got hood weather last couple days.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:57 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for that mudike. It defintely shows two ignition coils wires from a single CDI output...

Old 01-18-2013, 01:34 AM
Range Rover

No problem I told you I'd check it out next time I got a chance.

Is there a way to pull the individual wires from the plastic clips? While messing with my quad today I was getting intermittent spark and if I jiggled the 4 pin connector at the cdi it would spark again, then stop, rejiggle wires...rinse & repeat. So is there a way to get the individual wires out of the block so I can clean the connectors and resodder them if necessary before putting them back in?

Old 01-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mudmike
No problem I told you I'd check it out next time I got a chance.

Is there a way to pull the individual wires from the plastic clips? While messing with my quad today I was getting intermittent spark and if I jiggled the 4 pin connector at the cdi it would spark again, then stop, rejiggle wires...rinse & repeat. So is there a way to get the individual wires out of the block so I can clean the connectors and resodder them if necessary before putting them back in?
The pins to these connectors usually have a locking tab that bends out from the pin. It is arranged such that when you slide the pin in the tab springs in as it ramps over a catch in the plastic housing. Once the pin is all the in past the catch, the tab springs back locking the pin in place.

To remove the pin you need to insert a small screwdriver and force the locking tab back in enough to release the pin.