1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

TaoTao Starts and then takes off

Old 01-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TaoTao Starts and then takes off

We have a 2007 110 TaoTao, we bought used. It starts up and was running great, I adjusted the chain and now it takes off when the engine is started. I have tried to loosen the chain but no luck. When I say takes off it can not be held by the breaks, it really pushes the tires around. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Kris

Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Could it be something else that has gone wrong and the chain adjustment just happened at the same time?

Kris

Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check your brake fluid levels and make sure the brakes are engaging.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Brakes are fine

The front tires are locked and sliding, the engine is accelerating without throttle being given.

Kris

Old 01-05-2013, 12:07 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've never owned a 110cc quad, so as far as the mechanicals go I really don't know much about these quads. I do know a lot about electronics, but this is a bit out of my league.

But I have to ask: When this starts up does this quad go full throttle all by itself? Did you do anything to the carburetor area like loosen the cable entry area to the top of the carburetor? Or work on the carburetor at all?

Chain adjustment won't have anything to do with a quad that pushes locked front wheels forward.

If the carburetor slide is in backwards, or if it comes loose at the top, the quad will go full throttle on its own (or so I read - since I've never owned one). (Others with better knowledge are free to correct me here if I'm wrong ).

Old 01-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
I've never owned a 110cc quad, so as far as the mechanicals go I really don't know much about these quads. I do know a lot about electronics, but this is a bit out of my league.

But I have to ask: When this starts up does this quad go full throttle all by itself? Did you do anything to the carburetor area like loosen the cable entry area to the top of the carburetor? Or work on the carburetor at all?

Chain adjustment won't have anything to do with a quad that pushes locked front wheels forward.

If the carburetor slide is in backwards, or if it comes loose at the top, the quad will go full throttle on its own (or so I read - since I've never owned one). (Others with better knowledge are free to correct me here if I'm wrong ).
you are correct Lynn, if the slide is in backwards or if the idle is set way too high or if the cable is adjusted too tight, the quad can take off when started.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Fixed!

I took the plastics off and the throttle cable on the top of the carburetor had backed off. I fixed that and adjusted the carburetor and problem solved! Now to put the plastics back on.

Kris

Old 01-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thank you-Ideas to prevent it from happening again?

Thank you guys for your help on this. Is there anyway to prevent that from happening again? I have read about the Mikuni carb swap, will that fix the problem? If so what carburetor do I need for this, not looking for more power since I have young boys. I just don't want it to run away with them!

Thank you again!

Kris

Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm glad you got it working.

As far as threaded parts backing off, this is really a big issue on chinese quads, and it pertains to a lot more parts than just the carburetor connections.

Thread locker is the usual solution. Most people spend a lot of time removing critical bolts/nuts/screws and applying thread locker before reassembling them. This makes it harder, but not impossible, to remove them later. The advantage is that they won't loosen by themselves.

Loctite 242 is the right stuff to use (it comes in a red bottle but the actual liquid is blue in color). There are other loctite formulas (like loctite 262) that are permanent. The bolts will shear off before breaking the bond unless you heat them with a torch first. So be sure to use the medium strength blue loctite 242.

You can get this at home depot. It is pretty pricey, so get the tiny tube in the cardboard bubble pack. A little bit goes a long way. One tiny drop per bolt.

Do not apply loctite 242 to plastic parts. Some thermoplastics will disintegrate over time when in contact with loctite 242.

Thread Locker from Loctite | The Home Depot - Model 209728

Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have done nylocks on all the bolts, can I do lock-tight on the carb?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TaoTao Starts and then takes off