1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Baffled by 110 cc wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baffled by 110 cc wiring

I bought a 110 cc atv that I heard run and even started it myself. It had broken motor mount bolts, broken plastic, and a hacked up wire harness. I stripped it all down, painted, new plastic, new bushings, new seat, and new grade 8 motor mount bolts. I could not remember wich wires went where, for the toggle switch and starter button. I rewired it per a wiring diagram I found in this forum. I cannot get spark to the plug. I have run the cdi tests I found here also. 5 pin cdi, b/w Killswitch wire reads infinite ohms to ground, but the b/y coil wire reads 0 ohms to ground. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I need to have fixed by Christmas.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Could you post the complete test results for the generic for the 5 pin CDI procedure? This test procedure is designed to be somewhat self verifying - i.e. the tests check the same things in different ways to add credence to the reults, or draw suspicion. I'm not trying to put you on the spot - but rather trying to get as much data to chew on as possible so I can make an informed response.

When you say "toggle switch" are you referring to a hacked ignition switch? How many wires on this switch? Two or four? What are the colors? (I'm just gathering info...)

You modified the wiring to a daigram you found on this forum. Could you please provide me a link to that diagram? (I'm again just gathering info to chew on... )

The black yellow wire measuring zero ohms to ground is suspicious. Where did you nave your meter set? Ohms for sure, but what scale on your meter? This is really important. 2 ohms, 20 ohms, 2K ohms, 200K ohms, 2M ohms, etc.

Originally Posted by Jestenwelding
I bought a 110 cc atv that I heard run and even started it myself. It had broken motor mount bolts, broken plastic, and a hacked up wire harness. I stripped it all down, painted, new plastic, new bushings, new seat, and new grade 8 motor mount bolts. I could not remember wich wires went where, for the toggle switch and starter button. I rewired it per a wiring diagram I found in this forum. I cannot get spark to the plug. I have run the cdi tests I found here also. 5 pin cdi, b/w Killswitch wire reads infinite ohms to ground, but the b/y coil wire reads 0 ohms to ground. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I need to have fixed by Christmas.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hellow Mr Edwards, thank you for your reply. Since my post I have replaced the cdi, voltage regulator, coil, key switch, spark plug,and boot. Ran the tests, and here are my test results.
I am useing a GE analog multimeter set @ x100 ohm
key switch on, cdi unplugged, tested wires from plug, and I tested to the same ground
kill switch black/white reads infinite
timming trigger blue/white reads 140 ohms
ignition ac power black/red reads just under 400ohms
ignition coil black/yellow reads 0 ohms
also tested the ground green 0 ohms

multimeter set to 10acv, cdi plugged back in and cranking
timming trigger blue/white just moves the needle
ac ignition power black/red bounces the needle from around 60 to over 100. my meter is onley labeled to 100, it goes past
ignition coil black/yellow reads 0 acvolts, I tested @ the back of plug, and also @ the coil. ireplaced the black/yellow wir with a brand new wire and ends soldered on, same results.

I cannot get my wire diagram to upload to this forum. so I will describe it.

from the magneto I have 5 wires. green,blue/white,black/red,yellow, and yellow/white( which I will call White )
green to ground
blue/white to top left pin of the cdi ( actual cdi not plug)
black/red to bottom right of the cdi
yellow to top right of voltage regulator
white to bottom left of voltage regulator

from the battery i have one green heavy guage wire from the negative post it runs to a stator cover bolt for ground. all of my ground wires run to the same bolt.
I have two red wire from the positive post one heavy guage to the solinoid, and the other runs through a 10 amp fuse the branches. one to the top left pin of the voltage regulator, the other to the key switch.

from the solinoid I have a heavy guage red wire to the starte motor.
I have a red/yellow wire to one side of a starter button, the othe side is green to ground.
I have a green/yellow wire that runs straight to the key swith

the key switch is 4 wires red, green, black/white, black (were i tied in the green/yellow wire from solinoid)
green to ground
black/white to lower center of cdi

cdi has 5 wires black/yellow, blue/white, green, black/white, black/red
green to ground
black/yellow to coil

coil onley has black/yellow, and plug wire. I made up a green wire with eyelit for ground. i placed the eyelit between the bolt head, and the coil.

I have no other components switches or wires on my atv. It turns over, but no spark at the spark plug
any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, also if someone can tell me how to post a picture to the forum. I will put up the wire diagram.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I was able to upload a picture of my wire harness to my profile album. But cannot get it here. Hope it helps.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:48 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had my response to this post all typed into my computer last night, proof read it, and was going for the submit button when I lost power. Dang . We sat in the dark for about 1/2 hour, but I'd lost my motivation to type it all in again when the power came back on.

So I'll retype it again tonight. My comments emdedded in blue:

Originally Posted by Jestenwelding
Hellow Mr Edwards, thank you for your reply. Since my post I have replaced the cdi, voltage regulator, coil, key switch, spark plug,and boot. Ran the tests, and here are my test results.
I am useing a GE analog multimeter set @ x100 ohm
key switch on, cdi unplugged, tested wires from plug, and I tested to the same ground
kill switch black/white reads infinite [Using the x100 ohms setting really isn't good enough. Could you please retest that on x1000 (or x1K) scale? It needs to read infinite ohms o that scale too.]
timming trigger blue/white reads 140 ohms [OK]
ignition ac power black/red reads just under 400ohms [OK]
ignition coil black/yellow reads 0 ohms [Using x100 ohms for this measurement is not sensitive enough. You're trying the see the difference between 0.0 and 0.7 ohms (or something like that) which you can't see on the x100 scale where a reading of "1" means 100 ohms. Measure this again on the lowest ohms scale you have - like x1. If you don't have x1 then use X10, but then measure very carefully and make sure you can see a difference between the meters leads shorted together and the ignition coil resistance.]
also tested the ground green 0 ohms [Ditto the above - measure this again using the lowest scale you have - x1 if you have it, or x10. x100 is not sensitive enough.]

multimeter set to 10acv, cdi plugged back in and cranking
timming trigger blue/white just moves the needle [On an analog meter you will see a low voltage (like 0.2 to 0.4 volts AC) but you should also see the meter "ticking" a little bit at about 10 times per second while you're cranking the starter motor. Do you see that?]
ac ignition power black/red bounces the needle from around 60 to over 100. my meter is onley labeled to 100, it goes past [This suprises me. A starter motor cranking at constant speed should produce a constant AC voltage here. Are you using the starter motor, or are you using a kick start?]
ignition coil black/yellow reads 0 acvolts, I tested @ the back of plug, and also @ the coil. ireplaced the black/yellow wir with a brand new wire and ends soldered on, same results. [If your getting a trigger pulse (with the 10 hertz ticking), and you're getting AC ignition power (I don't why it would vary from 60 to 100 volts with the engine cranking at a constant speed), then you should see something at the spark plug output]

I cannot get my wire diagram to upload to this forum. so I will describe it.

from the magneto I have 5 wires. green,blue/white,black/red,yellow, and yellow/white( which I will call White )
green to ground
blue/white to top left pin of the cdi ( actual cdi not plug)
black/red to bottom right of the cdi
yellow to top right of voltage regulator
white to bottom left of voltage regulator

from the battery i have one green heavy guage wire from the negative post it runs to a stator cover bolt for ground. all of my ground wires run to the same bolt.
I have two red wire from the positive post one heavy guage to the solinoid, and the other runs through a 10 amp fuse the branches. one to the top left pin of the voltage regulator, the other to the key switch.

from the solinoid I have a heavy guage red wire to the starte motor.
I have a red/yellow wire to one side of a starter button, the othe side is green to ground.
I have a green/yellow wire that runs straight to the key swith

the key switch is 4 wires red, green, black/white, black (were i tied in the green/yellow wire from solinoid)
green to ground
black/white to lower center of cdi

cdi has 5 wires black/yellow, blue/white, green, black/white, black/red
green to ground
black/yellow to coil

coil onley has black/yellow, and plug wire. I made up a green wire with eyelit for ground. i placed the eyelit between the bolt head, and the coil.

I have no other components switches or wires on my atv. It turns over, but no spark at the spark plug
any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, also if someone can tell me how to post a picture to the forum. I will put up the wire diagram.