1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

starter button switch and remote start issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter button switch and remote start issue

Hi, I just bought a Tao Tao T125D utility ATV for my son's Christmas present. The starter button switch on the handle bar does not work(with brakes engaged), does nothing when pressed, no click or anything? The remote start worked until I pressed the kill button, then I had to reset the remote system per the dealer's instructions and it would click but will not engage the starter?

The battery is fully charged and I can start it at the solenoid with a screw drive and it starts right up and runs fine.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 12-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would start checking fuse's. when i had my 125 honda it would only click until i checke and inline fuse and noticed it was bad.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:44 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MRRT
Hi, I just bought a Tao Tao T125D utility ATV for my son's Christmas present. The starter button switch on the handle bar does not work(with brakes engaged), does nothing when pressed, no click or anything? .......
When you turn on the ignition switch and apply both brakes, look at the brake light. Is it lit up? That is the best way to see if your brake/starter/safety interlock system is working or not. I said to apply both front and rear brakes because both those usually have switches that are wired in parellel - such that if either of them are working the brake light will light up. Then you can test each brake swtich individually to see if one of them is bad.

...The remote start worked until I pressed the kill button, then I had to reset the remote system per the dealer's instructions and it would click but will not engage the starter?

The battery is fully charged and I can start it at the solenoid with a screw drive and it starts right up and runs fine.

Any help is appreciated!

The remote bypasses the ignition switch, brake/starter safety interlock, and the starter button. So that says you starter button issues are involved with those items.

The remote reset via the dealers instructions is new to me.

The click that you hear: Is it coming from the starter solenoid? If so, while you can get the "clicking" at will with the remote, does jumping across the solenoid still crank and start up the quad?

Do you have a meter?

Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by earlmccoy99
I would start checking fuse's. when i had my 125 honda it would only click until i checke and inline fuse and noticed it was bad.
Thanks, all fuses are good!

Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
When you turn on the ignition switch and apply both brakes, look at the brake light. Is it lit up? That is the best way to see if your brake/starter/safety interlock system is working or not. I said to apply both front and rear brakes because both those usually have switches that are wired in parellel - such that if either of them are working the brake light will light up. Then you can test each brake swtich individually to see if one of them is bad.

The remote bypasses the ignition switch, brake/starter safety interlock, and the starter button. So that says you starter button issues are involved with those items.

The remote reset via the dealers instructions is new to me.

The click that you hear: Is it coming from the starter solenoid? If so, while you can get the "clicking" at will with the remote, does jumping across the solenoid still crank and start up the quad?

Do you have a meter?
Thanks for replying Lynn!

I did test the breaks last night, front, rear, then both, and all three lite the break light.

I bought a starter push button and installed it last night for a work around, will I damage anything doing this? Also, while running (and I know not to do this normally) I pushed the handle bar button and it engaged the starter? Seems that something is goofy in the wiring.

I do have a meter

Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for replying Lynn!

I did test the breaks last night, front, rear, then both, and all three lite the break light.

I bought a starter push button and installed it last night for a work around, will I damage anything doing this? Also, while running (and I know not to do this normally) I pushed the handle bar button and it engaged the starter? Seems that something is goofy in the wiring.

I do have a meter
No, an external start button is fine. Just make sure you have a fuse coming off the positive battery terminal that feeds everything except the large gauge starter motor wires through the solenoid. That way if you wire something up really wrong it will blow the fuse instead of burning up your wiring harness.

Do you still have just a click with the remote? Is it coming from the starter solenoid?

Here is a simplified wiring diagram of the starter motor circuitry on a remote equipped quad. I've left out the remote stuff for clarity because you can always eliminate a suspect remote module by simply unplugging it:

Name:  StarterWiringPlanB.jpg
Views: 5404
Size:  37.1 KB

See if you can follow it through, and compare it to your quad wiring. Note that the fact that the brake light works suggests that the wiring path through the battery, fuse, ignition switch, and brake light switch parts are working. Thus the next step is seeing why the 12 volts at the brake light side of the brake light switch isn't getting to your start button, or why the output side of the start button isn't getting to the solenoid coil. This is where meters come in handy.