1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

crossed jumper cable. blew fuse. no electric start

Old 02-16-2012, 12:15 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crossed jumper cable. blew fuse. no electric start

so i finally got my quad to start using the electric starter and the headlights turned on, but the brake light didnt. i dont have a battery so i used my car to jumpstart the quad but i crossed the jumper cables and blew the in-line fuse connected to my battery. i put a new one in and im still not getting any electric anymore. could i have blown the start relay?

its a gy6 hensim 150cc

Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Range Rover

bump

Old 02-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Have you checked the battery itself? They use a pretty crappy battery to start with.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Range Rover

well the problem is i didn't have a battery connected at this time. i ordered a new starter relay and replaced the fuse and i have a new rectifier on the way in the mail, i put a new cdi in and a brand new orange coil for the gy6.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Was the car running when you did this?

Old 02-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Range Rover

no the car was off

Old 02-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When you hook up a GY6 quad battery connection backwards some Gy6 engine voltage regulators are vulnerable to damage if the right fuse protection is not in place. What is the value of the fuse that blew? It should not have been higher than 10 amps.

But something is wrong here. You got the starter to turn with out the brake light being on (if I'm understanding your post correctly). This is wrong. We need to find out why. Have you been messng with the wiring?

Now your wiring doesn't work at all when you try to engage your starter motor. Did you replace the fuse? Are you sure it didn't just blow again? Do you have a meter? Have you tried to measure anything with the meter?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pvillefball421
no the car was off
I don't think that whether the car engine was running or not has any relevance at all.

A fully charged car battery alone puts out 12.6 volts and can supply 500 to 1000 amps into a dead short circuit. If the engine is running at idle the charging system/car battery combination puts out 14 volts (+/- a 1/2 volt), and can put out 510 to 1010 amps into a short circuit. The difference is trivial.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:28 AM
Range Rover

no i havent really messed with the wiring besides from connecting a loose green wire to the frame as a ground. but i now know this green wire and the other loose wire i had (black and white) go to a tether kill switch. i got the quad to work today using the electric start but the lights only stayed on for a second or two then stopped.

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
When you hook up a GY6 quad battery connection backwards some Gy6 engine voltage regulators are vulnerable to damage if the right fuse protection is not in place. What is the value of the fuse that blew? It should not have been higher than 10 amps.

But something is wrong here. You got the starter to turn with out the brake light being on (if I'm understanding your post correctly). This is wrong. We need to find out why. Have you been messng with the wiring?

Now your wiring doesn't work at all when you try to engage your starter motor. Did you replace the fuse? Are you sure it didn't just blow again? Do you have a meter? Have you tried to measure anything with the meter?

Old 02-17-2012, 06:13 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
I don't think that whether the car engine was running or not has any relevance at all.

A fully charged car battery alone puts out 12.6 volts and can supply 500 to 1000 amps into a dead short circuit. If the engine is running at idle the charging system/car battery combination puts out 14 volts (+/- a 1/2 volt), and can put out 510 to 1010 amps into a short circuit. The difference is trivial.
If it were hooked up, then the car started, isn't that when it pulls the most amps? I've seen that discussed on here before.

Regardless, go with what Lynn tells you. He is pretty much an expert on the electrical systems and I'd go with any information he gives you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: crossed jumper cable. blew fuse. no electric start