1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Help! China quad wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! China quad wont start

The battery on my Chinese quad (polaris predator knock off) was dead. I tried to jump start it off my truck and the machine did not like this.

Someone told me that these machines are 6v systems and the truck being 12v will do damage? is this true?

I can here a clicking sound like a solenoid now when I hit the starter button but the motor will not turn over.

Where should I start troubleshooting with my vohm meter?

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Smile

I had a very similar issue happen to me with my TaoTao 250d and it ended up being resistance between the battery and the cable connectors. You might remove the battery cables and clean any corrosion from the terminals, then re-attach the cables making sure theres a good connection and charge the battery, if you have not already done so. Hope this helps

Old 03-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I will check this but i really think trying to jump it with the truck damaged something

Old 03-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It might very well be bad connections as Gooster suggested. Definately do the visual inspection bit. Also keep in mind that bad connections in the starter circuitry often get hot after repeated start attempts. Connections that get hot are a big red flag.

I've never heard of any chinese quad having a 6 volt system. I think it is 12 volts, but you can verify this for yourself: Look at your battery. How many fill plugs do you have? Six? Then it is a 12 volt system. If you have 3 fill plugs then it is a 6 volt system. Lead-Acid batteries generate 2.1 volts per cell. Six cells equals 12.6 volts - same as your car or truck which also uses a 6 cell lead acid battery.

What did you mean by the phrase "I tried to jump start it off my truck and and the machine did not like this"? What happened? Smoke? Bad smells? Funny sounds? Could you have got the jumper cables backwards? In general it isn't a problem to jump a 12 quad to a 12 volt car or truck, but you do need to make sure to get the polarity right.

So you here a clicking sound when the start button is pushed. Find the source of that sound. If it is coming from a device that is connected to the positive battery terminal with a big fat wire on one side, and the other side is connected to the starter motor through another big fat wire, then this is the starter solenoid. Make sure your brake is set and your are in neutral (just in case the quad starts up). Then short the two big terminals on the starter solenoid with a screwdriver. A few sparks are OK - starters draw a lot of current.

Does the starter motor turn? If the solenoid clicks when you push the start button (but the starter doesn't turn), and the starter turns when you short across the solenoid terminals, then the solenoid is bad.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Lynn, thanks for your reply.

I started to work on it again today.

I found out that it is indeed a 12 volt system.

I hooked up the battery charger and after a few minutes I could get the starter to turn maybe a half turn with the charger connected. I left it charge for another hour or so and after unhooking the charger I had nothing.

I went and got a new battery for it filled it up and charged it. After charging I had 12.7 DC volts coming out of the battery. Hooked it up and nothing just a clicking.

I disconnected the two larger wires off the starter solenoid. Connecting them the starter does not turn. Hooking the starter up to the + side of the battery does nothing either.

I also verified the solenoid is good. It has some 3 million ohms of resistance when the starter button is not pushed and about 10 ohms when it is pushed.

I gave the starter a couple taps with a hammer while the starting button was pushed and I got maybe a 1/4 turn out of the starter then could not get it to turn anymore.

I was going to remove the starter but it almost looks like the cylinder head has to be removed to get access to one of the screws?!

I can trouble shoot electrically if you can help me where to go from here you are the man.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When you try to start your quad measure the voltage at the battery terminals while the solenoid is "clicked" in. What is it?

Do the same test (while trying to start the quad with the solenoid "clicked" in) only measure the voltage right at the starter motor. Put the red lead on the starter motor input terminal and the black lead on the starter case. What voltage do you measure?

If your battery voltage is drooping to a low voltage at the battery terminals then jump it to your car or truck (please get the polarity right). Turn on your quad headlights and try to start the quad. Does the starter motor turn? Do the headlights stay lit? Are the headlights bright? Dim? Out?

The reason for all these tests is to determine if the new battery is perhaps bad, or the starter is bad, or trhere are bad connections (including ground), or any combination of the above.

What's the engine size on this quad? I don't know how to take off the starter, but once the engine type is known maybe someone else can help.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Lynn

I have 12.6 vdc at battery with starter button not pushed. 12 vdc when starter button pushed

I have 12.5 vdc at solenoid posts with starter button not pushed. .05 vdc when starter button pushed.

I have 0 vdc at starter when starter button not pushed. 12.5vdc when starter button pushed.

My machine is a 110cc. It looks nearly identical to this machine http://akamai.globalsources.com.edge...1017366132.jpg

however mine has a different rack and has brake levers on each side.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

renmc,

I haven't read all the threads through yet maybe ynn has already covered it.

1st have a known good battery!!

IF it doens't work and you can hear the solinod/relay clicking when you hit the button I'd do the following as a quick check.

Just take a battery booster cable, hook oneclamp end to positive on the quad battery and take the other end adn touch it to the positive terminal on starter. (where the heavy wire hooks up too) Make sure its out of gear and key off as it's going to probably spark a bit and hopefully encage the starter! If nothing happens you have something up with your starter. If it cranks it over well then you have to check where the resistance is in the starting circuit. Be it the cables conections or the starter relay itself.

Again all this is for nothing if you don't have a good 12 volt source.

However from your readings there you battery voltage isn't dropping when you hit the button. So make sure that starter relay down under the seat probably attached to the frame is clicking 1st!

Old 04-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sawyer

The battery is brand new yesterday.

I ran a jumper lead from the positive of the battery to the starter terminal and got nothing but a shower of sparks.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

You might try this site. TaoTaoATVPartsWholesale - TAO TAO PARTS - TAO TAO ATA110 ATV Parts I've had good luck getting parts from these guys. They have pics of the parts so you should be able to match it up with what you have. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Help! China quad wont start