1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kill switch

We have a Yamoto 70 , and we're starting to have problems with the kill switch not working right. I would like to eliminate it all together. Is there a wire diagram out there without the kill system in it out there? Or can somebody tell me what to eliminate. Thank you funnnyfarm

Old 03-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Which kill switch are you have problems with? Here are the four common kill switches

1) Lanyard / Tether pull cord
2) Left Handlebar kill switch
3) Ignition switch (one switch out of two ganged together on a common shaft)
4) Remote control module (which wires into the kill switch circuitry)

What are your symptoms?

Unplug your CDI and look at the connector. Does your CDI have 5 pins or 4 pins?

Old 03-27-2011, 12:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kill switsh

The Remote control module (which wires into the kill switch circuitry). I would like to eliminate that part of the circuit. funnnyfarm

Old 03-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Electrical Expert

Just unplug it.

This will change the way the ignition switch works though. You will no longer be able to shut off the engine by turning off the ignition switch. You will have to use the handlebar kill switch instead. Else everything will work the same.

Having the remote disconnected has the added advantage that it won't bleed down your battery quite so fast when the quad sits unused.

You can add a jumper at the remote module connector between two wires to restore the ignition switch "off" function if you like. It would take some investigating with a meter to find which two wires to jump, but it could be done. Most people just live with using the handlebar kill switch.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kill Switch

I can live with shutting off the Quad with the handle bar kill switch. I'll put a disconnect switch on the battier as I did on all the quads. Do you know where I can get a wiring schematics for this particular quad. I've tried on line , but maybe I'am not searching it right or with the right words. Thanks funnnyfarm

Old 03-29-2011, 01:23 AM
Electrical Expert

I don't have a specific diagram for your specific quad. Wiring diagrams for chinese quads are difficult to come by for many quads. I've had to trace out my own - which is not as difficult as it may seem if you're methodical and good at documenting modules and wire colors. I see people posting all the time about how they have unbundled the wire harness by removing the outer wrapping to follow the individual wires. But why do they do this? A purple wire that enters the wire harness will pop out somewhere and (gasp) it will still be purple. Then you get an ohmmeter and verify they are really connected, and viola, you've followed the wire without unbundling anything. Do this for all the wires (there are only about 50)...

OK I'm off subject.

There is a lot of similarity between the way quads are wired. After looking at existing published wiring diagrams you start to see patterns. There is a finite number of ways to wire up kill switches. There are only a few different starter interlock circuits. CDI's are either DC powered or AC powered. Then you measure a few things and you know which wiring variation they are using.

Even if you find a published wiring diagram they are grossly wrong about 75% of the time.

I wish I had a better answer for you...

Old 03-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kill Switch

Thanks for the help. I am a retired railroad mechanic. I was hoping for the easy way out. Again Thanks for the help. Al