1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

TaoTao ATA 125 F somtimes starts

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool TaoTao ATA 125 F somtimes starts

Hey everyone. I wish I would have found this forum before I bought an ATV. I looked yesterday for a while on here and found lots of great information.

I bought a new TaoTao ATA 125 F this week, and like many of you I'm having trouble with it. I've started it a few times and it seems to run ok around the yard (I haven't cranked it out yet), but usually it won't start. My guess is since it turns over fine as long as the battery is charged, that the gas isn't getting to where it needs to go. In the owners manual (which I think is the wrong one for my ATV) it says there is a fuel petcock. I can't find that thing anywhere. But again it has started and run a few times so I know it works. Maybe there is a safety device thats getting engaged. Let me know what you think.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Range Rover

I know with my 110D, it takes just the right amount of choke to get it to light off and usually a couple of shots of gas from the thumb throttle. Mine lists the fuel petcock as well and did not have one until I added it. Once yours starts does it idle down unattended w/ out stalling and have full range of throttle response?

Joel

Old 02-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Once the ATV is started I have no problem with it. The choke is by the start button, but I can't figure out which was is on. It's not the same as my manuel. I've tried different settings left, right, middle but not much help.

An idea I'm considering is that the battery is not giving it enough juice to start up, cause it seems that after I charge it really good, it will sometimes start. But not always.

Any other suggestions?

Old 02-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think this solves my problem. Thanks spliffy!!!! I tried this simple fix and it started up 4 times in a row no prob.
spliffy
Range Rover
My Garage Join Date: Mar 2005

Hopefully this is the easy fix.... on the left hand handlebar kill switch, it is actually a 2 part kill switch, make sure its in the run position, usually in the middle & then push it in, alot of times that is all that is wrong, the switch will not allow spark until the actual switch is pushed in.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default atv starting issues

My atv wont start i tried the killswitch option but it still did not start are there any other reasons on why it would do this?

Old 01-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by wildbill2879
My atv wont start i tried the killswitch option but it still did not start are there any other reasons on why it would do this?
Does it have a tether switch. Not knowing what ATV you have I will take a guess that it is a smaller Chinese unit. Lots of those have a tether kill switch on the back. Sometimes they will work loose and shut everthing down like a kill switch.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbill2879
Have you checked to see if you have spark? Here is the generic procedure:

Remove the spark plug and wire it back up. Hold the plug threads against the engine block while trying to start up the quad with the starter motor. Be sure to have all your kill switches set to the "run" position.

Do you get a steady stream of sparks across the pug gap at about ten times per second?
What brand quad is this? Is it a four stroke?

If you do have spark, and your quad is a four stroke engne, try dribbling a half teaspoon of gas into the spark plug hole. Put the plug back and try to start the quad. It should fire and run for a couple seconds on the gas you dribbled in. Does the engine start?

What is the history of this quad? When was the last time you saw it running? Have you ever seen it running? Was this a sudden failure, or did the quad get harder to start over time?