1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

I'm an idiot-please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm an idiot-please help

Ok, so I am a total mechanical idiot. Feel free to laugh at me, ridicule, whatever, but I really need help. I purchased a Baja 150 ATV from Pep Boys and following the advice on this forum tried to change the oil as soon as I received it. However, I believe I mistakenly drained the transmission fluid instead (the bolt I removed is directly below the transmission, so I assume that's what I did anyway) (did I mention I'm an idiot?). Now I can't figure out how to re-fill the transmission fluid. I can't find anyplace to fill the fluid and I'm not sure what lubricant to use. The owner's manual is no help and neither is the Baja web site. This was an x-mas present for my daughter and needless to say, she is not happy with me. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm assuming this is a GY6 engine.

According to several different 150cc Gy6 service manuals that I just looked at there is a fill screw about 2 inches to the rear of the engine and about 2 inches higher. This screw has a flange head similar to the drain screw. The fill screw is threaded in horizontally (compared to the drain screw which is vertical) .

You use an pistol grip style oil pump to put 90W gear oil in through the fill hole until it is level with the fill hole. Should take about 3.7 ounces.

I have a pdf file I can send you showing the procedure for a 150cc Gy6 scooter (same engine). If you want it then send your email address by private message.

Now for the hard part. I have a 150cc GY6 quad, and when I looked for the fill screw it seems mine is underneath the CVT cover. All the service manuals show it accessable outside the cover. Lets hope yours is easier than mine.

If worse comes to worse you could just flip the quad upside down and pour a measured amount back in. Take out the battery first or it will leak some acid while your quad is upside down. The gas tank will also drip a bit out the vent in the cap, but not very much in the short time it takes to get the oil back in.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:42 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum bringusashrubbery!

My 150's fill hole is located in the rear of the cover. If your looking at the CVT cover its on the far right, just under the vent section of the cases. It can be reached with the cover on but its much easier if you take the cover off. It is a bolt with a 12mm head but could also be a 13mm or 14mm too. I put 90wt gear oil in mine, 5 ozs if I remember right..but Id go with LynnEdwards 3.7ozs if I was you.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mywifesquad
Welcome to the forum bringusashrubbery!

My 150's fill hole is located in the rear of the cover. If your looking at the CVT cover its on the far right, just under the vent section of the cases. It can be reached with the cover on but its much easier if you take the cover off. It is a bolt with a 12mm head but could also be a 13mm or 14mm too. I put 90wt gear oil in mine, 5 ozs if I remember right..but Id go with LynnEdwards 3.7ozs if I was you.
On another thread Sawyer measured a little over 5 ounces on his 150cc Jetmoto. I rechecked my Gy6 service manual(s) and they do say 3.7 ounces. Since there is a discrepancy between credible sources I wanted to point it out in case someone comes upon this through search engines down the road so they can act accordingly. Here is a link to the other thread:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...il-change.html

Note that Sawyers oil volume is close to MWQ's memory.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:17 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

As I think back it seems to me that only 2.5 to 3 ozs drained out...didnt seem like enough to me so I put more back in...The 90 wt that came out was not the finest gear oil Ive ever seen...sort of multi layered and lumpy..

Old 01-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd use 10-40 and I allways fill the gearbox's with more fluid than they recommend.