1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

GY6 vs E22 motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GY6 vs E22 motor

I've been reading a little on the GY6 motor and wonder how it compares to the E22 motor. I know the E22 is a Honda design and seems to hold up decently even in the Chinese ATV's. When I first saw a GY6 motor I was put off by the cooling system not having any exposed fins. I've read that in scooter duty this engine holds up okay. How is it for ATV use? Does it last? Between a 125 E22 and a 150 GY6 which would be the better motor all other things being the same?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a GY6 150cc quad which I bought in 2008. I have had zero problems with the engine other than having to adjust the valves, which is very easy and routine maintenance. I have well over 2000 miles on the quad. My neighbor has the same type quad, and since we go riding together his has the same mileage, and also has had zero problems with the engine. We have had trouble with the quad running gear - nothing major - but that has nothing to do with the engine.

In my opinion not having exposed fins is a major advantage, not a disadvantage. The reason the fins are covered is because the GY6 has a forced air cooling system. Look at the side of the engine and you will the fan intake. I rode my quad all day long at Hollister Hills state vehicle recreation area last year when the temperature was 110 degrees fahrenheit. Up hills, down hills, the quad was fine. I got overheated though. At times it felt like I was riding on a weber barbeque.

The disadvantage of the GY6 forced air cooling comes if you like to go swimming with your quad. Water going in through the fan floods the flywheel and stator area. Not a really big deal if you run it till it drys out. But if you put it away wet things can get crusted up inside.

One other thing to consider: GY6 engines have complete service manuals available for free download. E22 engines do not (to the best of my knowledge).

BTW, the GY6 engine is a Honda design also.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. Can I ask what make and model you both have?

Old 04-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hensim, but I have no reason to recommend them specifically.

Don't worry about the engine. Look at the suspension and running gear. For example, do the cotter pins actually sit in the castle nut slots? On mine the nuts sometimes would have huge gaps such that the nut would have to back out 1/2 inch before the cotter pin would stop it from going further. I spent a lot of time fixing up assembly issues before I ever rode mine (and my neighbors quad too).

Also my quad was not as wide as some of the newer ones available now. I flipped mine over within two weeks of buying it. Wider is better.