CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2005 Bombardier Traxter Wont' Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Bombardier Traxter Wont' Start

2005 Traxter 500 XT 2-UP - Start Switch Doesn't Start the Machine
I installed a winch on my "new" '05 traxter. Worked great - no issues with the winch. The winch has an inline fuse from the battery to the winch solenoid. I failed to mount the inline fuse away from any metal. The hot side of the inline fuse shorted out and my unit would not start. Here's where it gets interesting and very lucky for me ....

When I lifted the seat to try to determine why my start switch failed (thinking it was the battery), I noticed the shorting out of the inline fuse against the frame. I moved the wires and placed them over the air filter until I could work on the unit later in the day. Closed the seat only to have the seat spring touch the hot side of the inline fuse - smoke and I mean a fair amount started fuming from under the seat. Tried to lift the seat - wouldn't lift. Discovered later that the seat spring had been melted through rendering it useless. Call me lucky as this could easily have started a fire. Had to pry the seat from the seat pin to get the seat off the unit.

Once I was able to get under the seat, I removed the hot wire from the winch solenoid to the battery until i can find safer place to mount. The electrical tape that I had wrapped around the inline fuse had melted / burned. I assumed my battery was dead, so put a 2 amp charge on for 4 hours. Same issue ... turned the key to ON, pressed start, and nothing. Did the following:

1.) tested the battery - fully charged at 12 Volts.
2.) turned on lights - both front and middle - all 3 work
3.) brake light tested and worked
4.) before I removed the hot wire from the winch, tested the winch - works fine (requires ignition to be in the ON position)
5.) turned key to ON - odometer display worked, shift lights worked, temp light works - appears to be normal
6.) after #5 above, pressed the Start button - no start, no noise, some change in displayed lights (can't remember)
7.) turned key to ON WITH LIGHTS - odometer display worked, shift lights worked, temp light works - appears to be normal
8.) after #7 above above, pressed the Start button - no start, lights went from ON to OFF. Release start button, lights back on
9.) Checked all fuses in the black fuse box - all appear to be fine

When I press the Start switch, there is NO NOISE coming from the machine.

Pulled the manual start. One pull and the machine started right up. Took for a test drive. No issues - everything worked great. Returned to the driveway and pressed STOP - engine shut down. Manual started again, and pressed STOP - engine shut down. Manual started again and turned the key to OFF - engine shut down.

I could really use some help here ... wife wasn't happy when I bought it and now she is really pissed off that I did a stupid thing.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Could really use some gear heads to help me here ....

Getting lots of looks, but no ideas of where to go ... any of you wish to weigh in and help me out?

Old 04-24-2018, 03:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Silinoid

Hey there bud, tru taking a set of jumper cables and connect one positive to your positive on the battery and the other to your starter silinoid which is located on the left hand side by the rear tire. If your quad turns over then I'd be willing to bet your problem is in the wiring between your MPEM and starter switch. If you don't find any problems there regarding your wiring or plugs than that means the short you had under your seat fried the MPEM which will cost you if you can even find one for that obsolete atv. Best of luck to you bud. Ps. If you can't jump the atv, change the silinoid and ride on