CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

bruteforce

Old 09-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bruteforce

In the market for another atv, is a more powerful bike- 05 brute 750 or a 650 outty. Its all about speed horsepower torque and mud performance

Old 09-21-2011, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd give the BF a very slight advantage here. However, I do find having to hold a little lever with my left hand to lock the front differential a little annoying. Other than that, I think the Can-Am is a more comfortable ride than the BF.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

I see the resident armchair expert has given you his opinion. Nerver had a Brute so can't comment except to suggest you go to can-amtalk.com or Highlifter if you want to get opinions from guys who race and are in the mud all the time. I think you will get a little different slant than what has been offered so far.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

If you want the quad I've seen winning mud bog races get an 800 Renegade or Outlander. The engine is crazy fast. BF is a torquey engine and will do well also. I've only ridden the 2012 for a day but from what I here the newer ones have more low end than the older ones. Can-Am 650 is comparible to the 700s and 750s out there. If you can take both for a ride and see what you like about each of them. In the long run it's going to be your quad. I'm just sharing my limited knowledge of each of these machines. I've been on Can-Ams 500s and 800s. If the engine is about an average between these two it's going to be a screamer.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:00 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned many many can-am's (8 of'em) and a couple of brutes and again, currently own an 09 650 outlander-
everything moose said above is 100% right on- the BF's variable diff lock lever is annoying as hell when you're fighting to climb out of a hole- (imagine both hands holding on to the bars plus, throttling with your right thumb while fingering the diff lock lever with your left index- it's the dumbest set up ever on an atv IMO)

I'd also like to add- the one you're looking at, the 05 BF 750 (first year offered) was nothing but a problem atv- harsh suspension / stiff seat, problematic cvt with the reset jumper & limp mode toggle, prone to ingesting water through the air box, there was a recall on the carbs main jets and the carbs just never seemed to run right. Both my brutes had low miles.
That said- the brute 750 is an absolute powerhouse bottom-end wise when it's running right and pulls real hard- stuffing the throttle pulls the front end right up to a wheelie no problem. I think they dropped the carbs in 08 or 09 in favor of the efi and went with a softer seat also.

The can-am 650 / 800 is in a whole nuther league- can't really speak about the 2010-2012 models, but between 07-09, the typical can-am does have some normal "things" that if you've never been on one, might make you a bit uneasy- for example, the twin rotax has a "turbo" sounding whine to'em- almost sounds like a jet- the cvt runs real hot, especially on the big bores, the tti bushings tend to squeak a bit and a nice set of skids (and / or a frame insert) is a no brainer- no serious deal breakers though. The outty 650 will easily run in the 700 / 750 class.

I will say- if you think you'll like the bf's, then you'll absolutely love the outlander / renegade

Old 09-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Fd

Last edited by redhonda24; 09-21-2011 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys for all the advice, I ended up getting a 07can am outty 650 max with only 347 miles on it, picked it up for 5000, may have payed alot but it has no problems at alland the owner was an older guy and only dtove it with his wife so I dont think he beat it much. Raced it against my friends brute 750 in a 200 -250 ft drag and I was ahead the whole time. Haven't went mudding yet but I assume it will be just fine. I want to put tires on it tho, antly suggestions? Im thinking itp XTRs. I have a set on my Rubicon and they have been pretty flawless

Old 09-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Cardiac
I see the resident armchair expert has given you his opinion. Nerver had a Brute so can't comment except to suggest you go to can-amtalk.com or Highlifter if you want to get opinions from guys who race and are in the mud all the time. I think you will get a little different slant than what has been offered so far.
im guessing you and moosehendsen dont get along?

Old 09-22-2011, 06:08 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redhonda24
Thanks guys for all the advice, I ended up getting a 07can am outty 650 max with only 347 miles on it, picked it up for 5000,
you did pretty well on the price for a 650 max xt- nice low miles.
very good choice IMO- I had the exact same one in red (or was it yellow )

Congrats & welcome to Can-Am

Old 09-22-2011, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by redhonda24
im guessing you and moosehendsen dont get along?
I don't have anything against Cardiac. He might not like my opinion, but I'm not offended by that. I probably don't have nearly as much seat time on a CanAm as he does but I've been on them and when it comes time to buy my next quad a CanAm 650 or 800 is in my top 3 list of machines. They are nice. I just try to share what I know to help the people decide for themselves. I like that the major makers out there all have good machines with features that weren't even thought of just 10 years ago. Competition is good. That's why I'm not brand loyal. I think a person can miss out when they don't look at more than one makers quads. When I went to purchase a new quad back in 2006 there were 3 quad makers that had 2 up quads. Arctic Cat, CanAm, and Polaris. I didn't care for the Arctic Cat but that just because the CanAm and Polaris of the time had a lot more going for them. I went with the X2 because of the dumpbox/2nd passenger seat, the under rack front storage, large gas tank, and Turf mode. The CanAm was nice and faster too. But, it didn't meet my needs. To each his own.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bruteforce