CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Open rear differential - limited slip or locker

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open rear differential - limited slip or locker

Does anybody know if an aftermarket "open" diff option is availble for the Can-Am Outlander series? Here in South Africa, we are unable to register quads for road use, primarily because it has to have an open "driven" differential in normal road mode for starters. A "manual locker" or even a limited slip option would be a nice way out for me on my 650 Max - so I can haul my kayak and fishing gear to the good spots.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

The only quad I have ever heard to have an open rear diff is some of the Polaris models that have the "turf" mode. Good luck.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanx Cardiac, as far as I could ascertain the CECTEK Gladiator 500 has an open rear diff, but these are not marketed here. We also have some Chinese quads here that have open diffs, but what can I say, they are Chinese.....Looks like I am looking for both the Hen and the ****'s teeth......

The SA market is minuscule compared to the northern Hemisphere markets, so Can-Am will not put resource into this option for SA....looks like my quad will have to remain on the trailer on the public roads.... or some bright spark sees a business opertunity opening some n ew doors for us.....

Old 06-28-2011, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

What Cardiac said is true. The only major brand that has the option to have an open rear diff. is Polaris. They started with the ATP, added it to the Sportsman X2 and I think the Touring models and some Rangers.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:43 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred400
The SA market is minuscule compared to the northern Hemisphere markets, so Can-Am will not put resource into this option for SA....looks like my quad will have to remain on the trailer on the public roads.... or some bright spark sees a business opertunity opening some n ew doors for us.....
would they even check your rear diff?

hehe- just remove the rear driveshaft and put it in 4x4 mode at the inspection station and tell them it's been converted to fwd.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good Idea dropping a rear driveshaft...- we live in the third world after all. These goverment blokes really know how to ruin a good idea. They are just no fun.....I believe that in some countries in Europe (first world), you can register quads for road use...but no here in Africa the nanny state says NO.....