CAN-AM (BRP) Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer Non-General or Non-Basic questions about your CAN-AM (BRP) ATV. ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE CAN-AM (BRP) SECTION. Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!
MrHorsepower and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

Camshaft removal from '03 Traxter XT

Old 05-19-2011, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft removal from '03 Traxter XT

Hi,

I am working on replacing the camshaft on my 2003 Bombardier Traxter XT Autoshift with a Rotax Type 511 engine. Need some help with the final (I hope) steps. We are working with the engine still in the vehicle. We are following the procedure outlined in the BRP service manual (section 03-10). We have removed the clutch cover, clutch and the camshaft gear and its associated parts.

Questions:
1) There is a semi-circular clip, referred to in the manual as the "camshaft housing," secured by 3 small bolts. Got the bolts out but what's the trick to getting that "housing" off? Camshaft may be pressing on it.
2) It looks like the balance shaft gear may just slightly overlap the end of the camshaft. It's not part of the disassembly procedure according to the manual, but does it also need to come out too?
3) Big question is, will there be enough play in the camshaft so that it can be extracted without hitting the inside of the crankcase? Do you really need to remove the engine and split the crankcase in order to get the camshaft out, even though the service manual says that's not necessary??

Would be very grateful to hear from anyone who has been there before.