Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Beginner Quad

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Quad

Hello fellow ATV community,

I have a few questions as a newbie that I would like to throw out at you, on behalf of purchasing my first atv.

First off, I would like to describe the setting I mainly will be riding in, to help give you a better idea of what atv would fit my description.

A resident of New England (USA), I mainly will be riding on really tight trails, popping with; roots, vegetation, fallen lumber and lots of rocks. Roughly on about 6-7 archers of land.

Secondly, I would like to mention my height and weight (not that this plays a big role for quads). I'm about 177cms (5'10) and 63.5kgs (140lbs).

Lastly, I would like to mention my budget, which frankly sucks. I'm maxing out around $2,000 for my budget. I have no problem haggling down the price either.

As for my search, I have mainly been focusing on NON utility quads. I have been looking at the TRX400EX, Suzuki Z400 and the Raptor 350. I've heard all really good reviews on these, so It became really hard for me to narrow it down to a specific one to go after.

On a side note during my beginners research, at a local dealership, I found a 2005 Z400 for $1995. Which, is in my budget, but the higher end. However from a dealership...I'm worried if I look on Craigslist/eBay, I will get screwed over (due to knowing nothing on what to look for in an atv). Although, I really like the prices I see on Craigslist/eBay. I don't want a lemon that will ruin my first experience.

*I would like to mention, that I have done a ton of research online about how to drive/maintain, but never really had any real life experience. So I'm not exactly dead stuck in the water.

Thanks

Old 07-20-2014, 06:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Z400 is a good quad. after you get one, i say talk to the dealership and sign up for an atv safety course. i know it sounds mundane, but you can actually learn a lot from the class. weight distribution, etc....i was actually kind of shocked about how much i learned when i took the class. besides, i needed the safety certificate to ride on public lands. BTW, you could talk them down a little more to factor in taxes and other fees they'll tack on. tell'em you could do $1800-2000 out the door, Tax/title/fees included. that way you ain't blindsided by hidden fees and know the final price.
just my two cents, sorry if it sounds like a nickel.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Range Rover

i wont get in2 this cuz my 1st quad iz a Polaris 850...LoL...i feel got the money buy the best...just cuz there iz BIG engine doesnt mean u gotta throttle down all the way...LoL !!!

Old 07-20-2014, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

After riding both sport quads and utilities, I can tell you a 4wd utility is the way to go in New England. Yes, you can pick up the rear of a sporty if you get stuck or high centered, but you don't want to be doing that all day. I've seen a couple sport quad riders that could get up hills where wider quads had trouble but that is the exception. With the mud, water, and snow a 4wd is a better option if you can get one within your budget.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Jaster94
Z400 is a good quad. after you get one, i say talk to the dealership and sign up for an atv safety course. i know it sounds mundane, but you can actually learn a lot from the class. weight distribution, etc....i was actually kind of shocked about how much i learned when i took the class. besides, i needed the safety certificate to ride on public lands. BTW, you could talk them down a little more to factor in taxes and other fees they'll tack on. tell'em you could do $1800-2000 out the door, Tax/title/fees included. that way you ain't blindsided by hidden fees and know the final price.
just my two cents, sorry if it sounds like a nickel.

Thanks, will find out if the dealership offers that. Definitely something I will think about.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
After riding both sport quads and utilities, I can tell you a 4wd utility is the way to go in New England. Yes, you can pick up the rear of a sporty if you get stuck or high centered, but you don't want to be doing that all day. I've seen a couple sport quad riders that could get up hills where wider quads had trouble but that is the exception. With the mud, water, and snow a 4wd is a better option if you can get one within your budget.
Moose,

I agree on the utility being a better fit for New England, however when I looked at utility quads, I was looking at 550cc and bigger. Though, any of the utility quads 550cc and bigger were out of my price range. I'd rather get a "sport-ish" quad than a low 550cc and under utility quad.

Thanks for the in-put, I will not rule out a utility quad.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by pete37922
i wont get in2 this cuz my 1st quad iz a Polaris 850...LoL...i feel got the money buy the best...just cuz there iz BIG engine doesnt mean u gotta throttle down all the way...LoL !!!
Pete,

I agree with you on the fact of that matter about the engine size. I was looking at bigger sized atvs, because there is always power to grow into. If I go TOO small, there will be no power to grow into.

BTW, nice quad with the Polaris, but that is out of my price range. :'(

Old 07-21-2014, 10:33 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Sounds like ground clearance maybe a issue and all sport ATVs have small rear wheels with a rear chain sprocket low to the ground.

Try to get even a smaller Utility even 2wd like a 350 Grizzly then atleast you have taller 25" rear tire and a shaft drive with no low slung rear chain sprocket and 6" of clearance not 3".
You also have no chain lubing and adjusting ever.

There are other 2wd Utilities like the Honda rancher even the 500 Foreman came in a 2wd version.
The price of the 2wd version is always much cheaper then the 4wd version.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by 4WheelsBetterThan2
Hello fellow ATV community,

I have a few questions as a newbie that I would like to throw out at you, on behalf of purchasing my first atv.

First off, I would like to describe the setting I mainly will be riding in, to help give you a better idea of what atv would fit my description.

A resident of New England (USA), I mainly will be riding on really tight trails, popping with; roots, vegetation, fallen lumber and lots of rocks. Roughly on about 6-7 archers of land.

Secondly, I would like to mention my height and weight (not that this plays a big role for quads). I'm about 177cms (5'10) and 63.5kgs (140lbs).

Lastly, I would like to mention my budget, which frankly sucks. I'm maxing out around $2,000 for my budget. I have no problem haggling down the price either.

As for my search, I have mainly been focusing on NON utility quads. I have been looking at the TRX400EX, Suzuki Z400 and the Raptor 350. I've heard all really good reviews on these, so It became really hard for me to narrow it down to a specific one to go after.

On a side note during my beginners research, at a local dealership, I found a 2005 Z400 for $1995. Which, is in my budget, but the higher end. However from a dealership...I'm worried if I look on Craigslist/eBay, I will get screwed over (due to knowing nothing on what to look for in an atv). Although, I really like the prices I see on Craigslist/eBay. I don't want a lemon that will ruin my first experience.

*I would like to mention, that I have done a ton of research online about how to drive/maintain, but never really had any real life experience. So I'm not exactly dead stuck in the water.

Thanks
Same here I'm a newbie but I'm thinking of getting a Yamaha raptor 700 on Craigslist for 3200 I would check craigslist but beware of scams (Western Union)

Old 07-21-2014, 07:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
Sounds like ground clearance maybe a issue and all sport ATVs have small rear wheels with a rear chain sprocket low to the ground.

Try to get even a smaller Utility even 2wd like a 350 Grizzly then atleast you have taller 25" rear tire and a shaft drive with no low slung rear chain sprocket and 6" of clearance not 3".
You also have no chain lubing and adjusting ever.

There are other 2wd Utilities like the Honda rancher even the 500 Foreman came in a 2wd version.
The price of the 2wd version is always much cheaper then the 4wd version.
TLC,

Thanks for the advice on the 2wd vs. 4wd. I starting to look at some 350 Grizzly's, and from my research they can go through some pretty think brush like you said. I even saw a video of one clearing a deep much hole.

Quick Reply: Beginner Quad