Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Beginner Quad

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elpatchi
Same here I'm a newbie but I'm thinking of getting a Yamaha raptor 700 on Craigslist for 3200 I would check craigslist but beware of scams (Western Union)
Elpatchi,

Yeah, I am still hesitant when it comes to Craigslist. I don't want to get screwed over, but dealership prices are very friendly with my budget.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

buying a local quad on CL is like buying a car minus more and more paperwork. you can go up to the quad, start it, drive it, then decide whether to haggle or not. the scams on CL are fairly obvious. usually a funky price that's way too low for something that new,etc.....contact via email only, area code on phone number from somewhere not local to the viewed CL ad. i've bought quite a few on CL with no issues as i go to the quad to look it over and evaluate it.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:52 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I only buy used, 5 so far and never bough a bad one yet. Kind of hard to hide broken even on a short ride around the yard.

Once it leaves the showroom floor the ATV drops $1000 dollars.
Everyone on this forum is riding a used ATV that they like and its only a matter of time before they are up for sale.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Jaster94
buying a local quad on CL is like buying a car minus more and more paperwork. you can go up to the quad, start it, drive it, then decide whether to haggle or not. the scams on CL are fairly obvious. usually a funky price that's way too low for something that new,etc.....contact via email only, area code on phone number from somewhere not local to the viewed CL ad. i've bought quite a few on CL with no issues as i go to the quad to look it over and evaluate it.
Jaster,

Thanks for the opinion regarding Craigslist. I can definitely find way more options on it rather than a dealership. I think the only thing stopping me know is my budget. $2,000 was a giant stretch, and I even lowered my budget down to around $1,300 to feel more comfortable. I think I will slow my search down, because a $1,300 atv sounds like a disaster.

Maybe in the future when I can bump the budget up more.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
I only buy used, 5 so far and never bough a bad one yet. Kind of hard to hide broken even on a short ride around the yard.

Once it leaves the showroom floor the ATV drops $1000 dollars.
Everyone on this forum is riding a used ATV that they like and its only a matter of time before they are up for sale.
TLC,

Good point about used vs new quad. I would just beat the hell out of it anyways, so there really is not point in buying new for a ridiculous amount of money. Although I lowered my budget to $1,300, which doesn't sound atv friendly.

Thanks

Old 01-05-2015, 01:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$1300 might not sound like much but you can buy a decent used 2wd utility, that's about what I paid for my 2002 2wd Honda Rancher 350 ES. Can probably get a 2wd Yamaha Big Bear for a similar amount of money. Neither machine is the fastest or most exciting to ride but the utility machines tend to make a bit more power on the low end so they're peppier than you would think. For riding on tight trails, top speed isn't as important as having low end punch to get you up hills and over obstacles. If you want to get a sport quad, probably something like a Yamaha Warrior or 300ex is within that price range.