Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Where can you ride? and more questions

Old 07-23-2012, 07:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can you ride? and more questions

I'm looking to purchase a used ATV and I have some questions.

1. Do all ATV have titles?
2. Do you have to purchase a state license for an ATV?
3. Do you need a motocycle license to drive one?
4. Is it consider a farm equipment?
5. Can you ride them on the road?
6. Are helmets required if on the road?
7. Do you carry insurance on them? like a motorcycle?
8. What kind of maintenance should I expect?

I live in Ohio if anyone has an ATV here and know the laws that would help. If anyone can answer any of these questions I would appreciate it.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:53 AM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!

Originally Posted by jviola
I'm looking to purchase a used ATV and I have some questions.

1. Do all ATV have titles?
2. Do you have to purchase a state license for an ATV?
3. Do you need a motocycle license to drive one?
4. Is it consider a farm equipment?
5. Can you ride them on the road?
6. Are helmets required if on the road?
7. Do you carry insurance on them? like a motorcycle?
8. What kind of maintenance should I expect?

I live in Ohio if anyone has an ATV here and know the laws that would help. If anyone can answer any of these questions I would appreciate it.
I also live in Ohio...
1. Yes, you want a title for sure.
2. You will have to purchase the registration just like a car...34.50 for three years and you get a small license plate to put on it.
3. You do not need any special endorsement or license to operate
4. I don't think that they are considered farm equipment
5. You can not legally ride them on the road
6. Everywhere we ride, requires a helmet--best to have one anyway!!
7. I carry insurance...when I spend 9000 dollars on something I like a little peace of mind. I think it is around a 100 a yr and carried through my auto policy.
8. Maintenance- Fluid changes (oil, diff fluid), brakes, tires, front wheel bearings are the most common...tires would be the most expensive of those things at around 400 for a set of 4.

Where do you intend to ride in Ohio...there are four state forests that allow riding (Perry, Pike, Richland Furnace, and Maumee), Wayne National Forest has 100+ miles over three or four different areas, then there are a few other places more northern that are private, but allow riding. I am from Washington Court House Ohio...we ride at Wayne and at Hatfield McCoy in southern West Virginia...we ride about 1500 miles a year. Post back with any more questions!

Old 07-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider

If you are a farmer, and qualify for tax exempt for farm products, you can register your quad as farm equipment and do not have to pay the sales tax on it. Definitely get insurance! It is cheap and can cover stupidity. When I totaled my quad 4 years ago, my atv insurance paid for the quad and paid all my medical bills that my health insurance didn't cover!

Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

I live in Bowling Green, Ohio which is south of Toledo, Ohio. I was wondering if I could ride the ATV down to my Mother's house (1 mile away) and Daughter's house (3 miles away) to plow their driveways in the winter time. I guess it is illegal? That's too bad.

Of the places you mentioned, Maumee is the closest place to ride. Maybe I'll ride, but right now I was just planning on using it around my yard, the neighbors yard (they live in Florida and I take care of their property) and I was hoping around some of the country roads.

While are they illegal to ride on the road? I thought they were like a motorcycle class vehicle.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

If you go into your DMV they have a brochure on all the Ohio atv laws. You can ride on the side of the road from your unloading spot to your riding spot but that is it. I ride mine a little ways with my plow on. As long as you are going slow and using some sense, I would guess you would be okay riding on the road just to plow.