Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » General Discussion » Buying an ATV
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register ATV Photos FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendors
Search
Welcome to ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Reply Share this with your friends
Old 01-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Default Bill of sales?

Just wondering. When you buy a used ATV without a title, how do you go about getting a bill of sales? Im in Ky if it makes any difference.

Can a person just print one up and have both parties and a witness sign it? Or does it have to be notarized by someone?

How important is it to have a bill of sales?

Thanks for any help
Old 01-15-2012, 09:19 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
2008 Yamaha Big Bear

I have never boughten an atv with a bill of sale, but have bought and sold trailers with them...Mine were a brief description of product, seller's name and address, buyer's name and address, both sigs, and sale price, date....Before you buy an atv without a title (if new enough to have a title), make sure it has a vin and that it isn't stolen...in ohio if there isn't a title it will be inspected by the bmv and a title created (I think)...they check the vin before doing a title or registration. Good Luck...to me no title is scary!!

2008 Yamaha Big Bear 400 IRS (Sold)

1995 Yamaha Wolverine 350 4x4 (Sold)
Old 01-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Garage is empty, add now

It will vary from state to state. Also, the $ amount of the ATV is a factor.

I have a '96 Honda 90 that did not have a title. There 'was' a title but the owner lost it somewhere. I had no question about that story as the owner was a close friend of the dealer he bought it from - as am I. All I had to do was turn in some paperwork with a tracing of the VIN, let the state guys do a search to verify it wasn't stolen and we got a new title.

Now, my Can-Am is a different story. I bought it out of state from a police detective in Georgia. As he only drove it on his own acreage, he never got a title. I paid all my taxes and did paperwork back in TN so I could ride on public land but I still haven't followed through on getting a new title. In this case, since the purchase price was above $6,500.00 the rules were a little different. I would need to get a bonded letter from the former owner stating why there was no original title plus I would have to get a local police officer physically look at the ATV and verify the VIN number. Plus, I would have to provide a $200 bond. Since I have already paid all the fees to the state, they are not too concerned. Now that I've owned the ATV for 3 years it's value is below the $6,500 cap, so I really can finish this up anytime.

'07 Can-Am Outlander 800 XT - Crutchfield stage I Extremes all around
'02 Eiger 5-speed / mudlites
'02 Ozark
'96 TRX90

Past bikes: '89 Warrior, '97 Warrior, '98 LT80, '94 King Quad 300, '84 LT50
Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Angry no title no sale

I had to learn the hard way. I bought a used 500 Polaris from a guy I'd never met. I live in MT. The guy said he had just moved to MT from Oregon and had lost the title in the move. Sounded legit to me. He said all I had to do was file for a duplicate title and that was all there was to it. I figured if it was stolen, I wouldn't be able to get a duplicate title. I filed and got the title so I thought I was good to go. I got a license for it and then the next year licensed it again. But the third year I went back and guess what. I was told the thing was stolen. It seems the first two years I got away with it but by the third year our atv's got on the computer system and mine got flagged when I went to license it. So they took it from me. I had no say so. I went after the guy in court but he had no money so I wasn't able to get a dime out of him. I lost the machine and the $4500 I paid for it. I will never buy another atv, motorcyle or anything without a clear title again. Buyer beware.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Reply Share this with your friends

Tags
400, atv, bear, big, bill, bought, duplicate, honda, london, received, sale, sales, stolen, title, yamaha