Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Arctic Cat vs Yamaha?

Old 04-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat vs Yamaha?

I am trying to decide on a AC 550 two-up with power-steering vs a Yamaha with power-steering and latch on a seat to the rear. The Yamaha costs less (not sure how much the extra seat costs though). Quality and features seem to be the same. Any advice-which should I buy?

Old 04-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer

yamaha is built to last! They are built better then anything else! I do like my honda's too!

Old 04-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're going to ride two-up you should get a two-up machine. It's safer that way. Besides that it's illegal in many places to ride double on a one person quad.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer

Yamaha

Old 04-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Trailblazer

Suzuki all the way... or Grizzly

Old 04-04-2011, 11:12 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

You should go with the AC.

Yes, they are both great machines with similar features, but if you are going to ride with two, you need a machine that is built to carry two.

Putting a "seat" on the back rack is not only unsafe, in many places it is illegal...ok, so you aren't gonna be public enemy number one, but it might get you kicked off a trail and spoil a day of fun (or even a planned trip)

From a legal standpoint (and yes, I am a lawyer) if you had a passenger and had an accident while riding the Yamaha with an added seat, you would be using the vehicle outside the parameters of it's designed use...this means that you could be held liable for a substantial portion (if not all) of the injuries caused to yourself and your rider, even if the accident was not your fault....yep, that's what lawyers do (I just defend criminals myself)

On the other hand, if you were riding with a passenger on an ATV that was SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED to carry two people, at least that particular issue of liability for injuries wouldn't fall on you.

From a rider standpoint, I really like the Grizz, but I absolutely love the stability of my AC...it is wider and longer, but I'm not gonna be powersliding around corners with a passenger anyway.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Trailblazer

I love my AC500!!

I can double up when I need to. I do have a storage seat on back which gives the passenger something to hold on to, rather than just me.

Honestly the rear brakes suck and I've heard that complaint from many but I've managed okay without it. I'm not sure if they fixed that with newer models (mine's a 2003)

Mine has IRS so it has more clearance than some I've seen. I do like the fact that it is wider and to me feels less tippy. It loves to play in the water and keeps going, though I do plan to snorkle it before this summer...just because it looks so cool with snorkels.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:41 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

In the snowmobile world Yamaha is sure no better than Arctic Cat, infact there are much more AC than Yamahas at snowmobile events and on the trails, not sure why Yamaha would make a better ATVs, ATVs are made out of the same nuts and bolts as sleds.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

TexasRoadlawyer and jumbofrank are right on the money.
If you are considering the 2up because you are going to be riding double pay the extra coin and do it right.
The 2up is desiged for the additional weight and area that weight is distributed.

Just remember this forum is for opinions and people have brand loyalty.
For the most part these machines from the major manufactures are about equal.
Some do one thing better than the others but not all things better than the rest, just make sure you get the right machine for the job.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:01 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Personal preference, both good machines.

I prefer the Aritc Cat. Incredible ground clearance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Arctic Cat vs Yamaha?