Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

I think I made a bad mistake

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I made a bad mistake

Hi everybody. I just stumbled upon this forum while doing some research and I thought I'd see what you think of the predicament I just put myself into.

I made a pretty impulsive purchase of a 2011 Yamaha Grizzly 350 IRS and although I did ask lots of questions and take a quick test ride I was too hasty in my decision. Within a few minutes of getting it home I found it is very UNDER-POWERED. I love every other detail about this machine but the engine is so boring.

I am now seriously considering trading it in towards the Suzuki 750axi but obviously I'm going to take a beating there. Initially I was going to buy the 750axi but when I saw how wide it is I had second thoughts.

Any advice ?

Old 02-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by cncpro
Hi everybody. I just stumbled upon this forum while doing some research and I thought I'd see what you think of the predicament I just put myself into.

I made a pretty impulsive purchase of a 2011 Yamaha Grizzly 350 IRS and although I did ask lots of questions and take a quick test ride I was too hasty in my decision. Within a few minutes of getting it home I found it is very UNDER-POWERED. I love every other detail about this machine but the engine is so boring.

I am now seriously considering trading it in towards the Suzuki 750axi but obviously I'm going to take a beating there. Initially I was going to buy the 750axi but when I saw how wide it is I had second thoughts.

Any advice ?
Yeah do some research on the Suz, wouldn't be on my list. They are all less than 48" wide.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:23 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

You can look over in the Yamaha section and gets some tips to get more power. It's not gonna have the power of the 750. Ever. But see what other have done, then you'll have to decide if you want to put some more money into it and ride it a while, or take the beating now and sell it. Private party sale is going to get you more money, but take a little more time.

Good luck with any decision you make.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If the dealer has a 550 or 700 Grizzly he might cut you some slack and give you a good deal just to keep you as a customer. If he has other brands he still might give you a decent trade or even a full refund towards a quad with a bigger engine.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Pro Rider

This dealer has Honda Yamaha & Suzuki.

He's got a Grizzly 700 and a Suzuki 750 (with or without PS) in stock...

I think He is offering a pretty good deal for the Suzuki. Will give it to me for 7600 (MSRP 8200)... Claims that price is like 150 over his cost...

@RickCJ7, My initial concerns about width were that it could be too wide but I'm over that I guess. How wide of a quad do you prefer ?

Old 02-03-2011, 08:04 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

I'd ask if that's the "out the door" cost. By the time some dealers add their fees and taxes, you're back over the msrp price.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Pro Rider

It's 7600+tax out the door. No other fees.

I also wonder about the power steering. Part of me thinks I could benefit from the extra calories burned by fighting with the manual steering and I like the cheaper price.

What is the advantage for power steering ?

Is this something I should be seriously considering or not a big deal ?

Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Never had it on any of my other atv's, so I could probably live without it. But those that have gotten it say it's really nice.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

I went from the Yamaha Kodiak 450 to the King I have now. #1-reliability is much better than any Yamaha I have had. #2- the "WOW" factor from the 450 to the 700 is amazing. That being said I am also fair. I loved the size of the 450 for my size (5'4"-170lbs) much better. Even after 3 years sometimes the physical size of my 700 is sometimes still intimidating. The main thing is to test ride. As far as the width of the ATV...never been a problem.
As far as not being "on a list" the thing to remember is that this platform has been around for years. Less bells and whistles than some but an above average reliability.
Power steering is a personal issue. One of those things that once you get it you can't live without it......but if you never had it you won't miss it! LOL

Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks all for the feedback. I appreciate it all. This is a great forum and I'm glad I found it.

Quick Reply: I think I made a bad mistake