Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Rincon 680 vs Grizzly 660 (or 700)

Old 06-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first looked at the 650-750 class, being comfortable was the main issue seeing as I stand only 5'4". The Grizzly and Brute force both seemed to sit too high for me and the Honda was not an option due to various reviews I had seen at the time (2007). The machine I decided on was the Suzuki King Quad. It has a very comfortable ride and is very stable. It seems to have a lower seat heighth than the Grizz or Brute (though the specs don't show a lower seat). Just another bike to throw into the mix.
Buck

Old 06-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

My review was already posted in here by someone else of my 09 Rincon. As I mentioned everything is sweet except for engine braking. The brakes work well its just different than other quads to have to use them more.

We did every trail at Rockhouse, Hatfield McCoy. There are some pretty serious climbs a descents. The quad is very stable. I will say that my wife's Honda 450 is the most stable bike I have ever ridden. When she gets a little scared she sometimes gets off and lets me ride the difficult part twice. That thing would be hard to flip.

I was very impressed with the stability/ride of the Rincon. I am 175lbs and 6ft tall. Fits me very well. Taking it to canada in a few weeks. Will see how it does in the fast trails up there.

Any other questions, I will do my best to give you an answer. For what is worth, the Grizz would have been my second choice.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:23 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Never heard of a new Rincon coming out but the 09 is the same as always,2006 Can-Am Outlander™ 800 H.O. EFI ATVs

From the above link your 800 is lighter, so if weight is a problem then your heading the wrong way to go to the 680 Rincon. If the power of the 800 is to much you could always give it less gas and make it fo as slow as you want.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
Never heard of a new Rincon coming out but the 09 is the same as always,2006 Can-Am Outlander™ 800 H.O. EFI ATVs

From the above link your 800 is lighter, so if weight is a problem then your heading the wrong way to go to the 680 Rincon. If the power of the 800 is to much you could always give it less gas and make it fo as slow as you want.

TCL, the above link is inaccurate. Honda specs are wet curb weight and Can Am is dry weight before fluids.

Add at least 60-70 lbs to the Outlander 800 for fuel and fluids. That puts it at over 700 lbs. Add a decent set of rims and tires and your getting up there. I have ITP Wheels with Mudlite Tires.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Turfguy
My review was already posted in here by someone else of my 09 Rincon. As I mentioned everything is sweet except for engine braking. The brakes work well its just different than other quads to have to use them more.

We did every trail at Rockhouse, Hatfield McCoy. There are some pretty serious climbs a descents. The quad is very stable. I will say that my wife's Honda 450 is the most stable bike I have ever ridden. When she gets a little scared she sometimes gets off and lets me ride the difficult part twice. That thing would be hard to flip.

I was very impressed with the stability/ride of the Rincon. I am 175lbs and 6ft tall. Fits me very well. Taking it to canada in a few weeks. Will see how it does in the fast trails up there.

Any other questions, I will do my best to give you an answer. For what is worth, the Grizz would have been my second choice.
You say the engine braking is different. How different? Is it adequate or do you find yourself needing to supplement by pumping the front brakes to keep the wheels from sliding?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:09 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here is a good video review of the 680. YouTube - ATV Television Test - 2006 Honda Rincon. its a 06 model but the Rincon has not changed.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by XDTrader
You say the engine braking is different. How different? Is it adequate or do you find yourself needing to supplement by pumping the front brakes to keep the wheels from sliding?
Different as if it will only hold 9-12mph down a steep hill. In smooth riding that"s fine, but if its technical you will be using all brakes. Basically no engine braking. I didn't find it to be too much of a problem in WV. Did all the "hardest trails" we had time for.

The brakes are good. If you have it in 2-wheel drive you can use just the rear brakes. I would do this quit often so I didn't have more weight pushing me over the front end. If you need more braking than press both levers. Never needed to pump. The 26" Mudlite XTR's I have on it seem to hold well.

Rincons have not changed in 3-4 yrs. The reason I gave my review was mainly b/c I had never really driven one that much. Just giving my opinion on the make of the machine. Still have no regrets. Does what I need it do, and Honda reliability. Can't beat it.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Still thinking about the Griz 700 and the King Quad, but was wondering what you guys think about an '04 Kawi Prarie 700. I have always been a fan of the V Twin engine, and they look lower and more stable than some of the new models.

Thoughts?

Old 07-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Banned

id go with the rincon. it is sportier than the yamaha, and although the yamaha is a little bit faster, the rincon will rip it through the trail. plus it has a ugly hump were the gas tank is. the rincon is not slow by any means. i have a outlander 650 witch is similar to the 800, and my rincon 650 actually stays close because the can am spins its tires, for at least 50 - 100 feet on wet grass, if its dry or on pavement it is a totally different story though . regardless what they say, you will never need more power than a rincon, and you may still feel tippy on a grizzly

Old 07-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had a Rincon 650, 2005, great machine, but no engine braking can be scary on steep dnhills. I have a 07 King Quad, and the low gear and engine braking is very helpful on steep mtn dnhill trails.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rincon 680 vs Grizzly 660 (or 700)