Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Honda Recon or 09 Polaris Sportsman 400 HO

Old 10-17-2019, 12:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Honda Recon or 09 Polaris Sportsman 400 HO

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new used ATV (with racks) primarily for my 16 year old daughter to trail ride. However, I'd also like to use it myself for pulling a cart around the property and taking hunting. Requirement being that it can't be more than 44-45" wide so that I can fit it in my Colorado pickup. Also looking in the $2000-$3000 price range.

Initially, this led me to either a Honda Recon or a Suzuki Ozark. However, I've come across a 09 Polaris Sportsman 400 HO with only 81 miles on it for $3200 ). This obviously is more machine than I was originally looking for, but the 4 wheel drive would certainly be useful for my hunting purposes and the automatic would be easier for my daughter to deal with. Plus, I know they ride like a Cadillac.

Issue, I'm quite concerned about Polaris... Reliability issues seem to stem more around electrical issues. I'm comfortable working on my machines and at least feel comfortable replacing electrical items as needed. However, my biggest concern is with the CVT and lack of any engine braking. My brother has a 99 Sportsman 335 that he has had up/down many steep power lines. He just says he has to keep giving it gas to keep the CVT engaged. But, I'm not sure I want my daughter having to deal with this and worry that she might lose control on a steep downhill. I know for a lot of $$$, I can get an EBS system put in it. But, even that has reports of being dangerous as only the rear wheels have the braking and can cause a loss of control downhill on a curve, for example...

Can anyone ease my fears (or corroborate them)?

I know if I buy a good low use Recon, I probably won't have to do a thing to it for years (especially if I go with a foot shifter). But, worry I'll have trouble getting up the mountain with it in the snow during hunting season.

Thanks for any advice offered!

Jeff

Old 10-18-2019, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Honda Recon and Suzuki Ozark are very similar machines if my memory serves me right. 229 cc engines put them in the 250 cc class. I think the Ozark only had the semi-automatic foot shift while you can get a Recon with either an automatic or the semi-auto foot shift. Very reliable machines that take an amazing amount of abuse. Mostly due to their simplicity. Only deep mud or snow will show the weakness of a 2wd. It's pretty amazing where you can go in 2wd with a good set of aggressive tires on the rear.

Polaris 400 I'm not as familiar with. They used to have a 400 that was a two-stroke. There would be a mixing oil reservoir cap right under the headlight on the front if it has one. It is most likely the 450 cc 4-stroke Polaris called a 400 because they didn't want it taking away from the more popular 500 cc machines. I had a 2006 Sportsman X2 500 with the rear ebs. Never had the rear end kickout when it engaged all that much. A little steering correction and it snaps back around. As your brother mentioned if you want engine braking without ebs you have to juice the throttle a little bit to keep the belt engaged. It's not too bad to get used to but I like full engine braking like my Can-Ams have had. Otherwise, modulating the brakes like you would on a pre-ebs car will keep it under control going downhill. Just like pumping the brakes on older cars. There is no perfect solution that covers every situation. Each hill has different steepness, debris, and obstacles. Add snow and mud, rocks and roots to the equation and you're going to have to learn what works best with each quad. As I stated, I like the enging braking on my Can-Ams that I have or have had. Pretty aggressive but you can sometimes end up in a 4 wheel slide if the hill is steep and slippery enough. Hope all this helps.