Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Dealer freight and prep

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer freight and prep

The dealership here in Tucson is tring to charge me almost a $1000.00 for dealer freight and prep for a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 450 is this normal or are they trying to stick it to me?

Old 09-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

They are trying to stick it to you.
My local dealer tried to charge me $300 bucks to do that. I told them to wave the charge or I'm walking. They didn't and I did.
Went to another dealer and talked about the same quad. They had no charge. I asked them about what they had to do to prep a quad. Know the answer? "Take it out of the create and put a battery, oil and gas in it!!!!" That's it!!!! They even said the wheels are already bolted on it.

Let your fingers do the walking for you. I spent a half a day on the phone and saved over a grand. I figured I made $250 dollars and hour just by talking on the phone!!!! Some sales people don't want to deal on the phone. That's fine, just move on to the next.

Just bought a 40K truck and one sales guy did not want to deal over the phone. Bought my turck from someone who did. Then the guy that did not want to deal over the phone called me back. Told him, sorry dude, you pissed away a 5K pay check just because you did not want to deal over the phone.

Old 09-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found that the ATV dealerships that are located closer to population centers in larger cities tend to have higher add on prices. They may start out by advertising a lower than MSR price, but more than make up for it with dealer prep, shipping and other misc. paperwork charges. It seems like they are trying to copy many of the car dealership methods with add-on pricing. Move to some of the dealers located in smaller towns and you don't see as much of this.

Drturbo is right on. If you run into these types of add-on charges then it's time to move on.

Jaybee

Old 09-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer

paid 500 for freight and 500 for destination and 250 for vehicle prep. plus the tax title and stuff. close to 2000 by the time it was all on paper. I'm hoping to get that BS waived on a buddy pack. Anyone know what "dealer" cost is? if they're makin a killing just the sale, they're hosin us on all the other BS.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

All that stuff is in the same catagory as under coating for your car. Its just a way for a dealer to make more money. Anything over MSRP + tax is a rip off as far as Im concerned and that is more than I would pay. I know some areas are harder to find deals than others but shop around it can be worth a drive.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:02 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Price around they should be trying to clear them out now I bought two 450 in June and they did not even put the extra on for (PDI) pre delivery inspection. I see in the local traders now they are even cheaper now then when I bought in June....caper........

Old 09-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Trailblazer

Idk bout everywhere else, but around the north metro of minneapolis in minnesota, none of the dealers charge any prep or any other charges for that matter. All you pay extra is tax, title, and license. I think maybe they all do it because one decided not to charge it so they all decided not to jsut so they can keep up on sales, but idk.

Josh

Old 09-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer

I did a bunch of calling around today(like i should have done in the first place), and found many dealers that don't charge the extra B.S. Don't know if everyone's catching on to the scam or what, but all came w/in a few hundred bucks of MSRP for me today and those were out-the-door prices. Some, (dealers that I will eventually purchase from) had the 3yr warrenty on both the 06 and 07 models as the promo deals. I paid an extra 800bucks for a 2yr on the first outty(got scammed). In short, like others have said, shop around. be prepared to travel for a better deal. I gotta believe that, for the dealers, some money is better than no money. I'm in the market for 2 quads right now and some of the dealers will certainly give a discount on multiple sales. But watch out for some of the scam buddy pack deals out there. They will let you finance those things out to 10years[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]. you could buy 2 or 3 more quads for that price by the time you pay all that intrest.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Always ask for the OTD price. My recent purchase was at the agreed price, but they (suzuki/kawaski) "supposedly" still have to charge for shipping and setup. They just dropped the msrp even lower, add that and taxes and came up to the agreed on number. Personally didn't care if they did, as long as it ended up being the agreed on price.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

exactly, tell them you will do your own "prep" and see if they will sell it to you still in the crate. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I got my H1 that way.

Quick Reply: Dealer freight and prep