Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

First time buyer considerations

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time buyer considerations

We're getting ready to take the ATV plunge, but don't know which machine or brand would be best for us...

Suzuki claims they invented the ATV 20 years ago.
Honda has a reputation for being bulletproof.
Polaris seems to be a local favorite.
Yamaha claims to be the "Best of Breed"
Arctic Cat is a personal brand favorite for no other reason than we owned 2 snowmobiles years ago that were 'Cats

Our use will include:

- some trial riding on our property - mostly mixed forest / hardwood forest.
- hauling firewood out of the bush. Not all flat land by any means.
- hauling maple sap in winter/spring.
- trail maintenance.

The only conclusion we've come to so far is that we need the 4x4 option for pulling and hill climbing. I have no idea which size engine to even consider. Carb vs EFI? Don't know which would be more beneficial. We likely will use an ATV more during the sping summer and fall than we would in the winter, but there could be some winter use too, so this wouldn't be a seasonal toy like a jet-ski or ski-doo. I think we could get use out of one of these year-round. I wouldn't use it for snowplowing or snowblowing...I already have a tractor to look after that.

Any comments that any owners care to share to narrow the decision process would be appreciated. What pitfalls would you avoid if you had to buy another machine? Would you ever consider buying used? (Considering the price difference, I could pick up 2 used ones for the cost of a new one).

Thanks for you comments, in advance.
Steve
Huntsville, ONTARIO

Old 06-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

To be perfectly honest with you, every machine made will do what you plan to do. As well, they're all good machines now days. Some are better for specific tasks, but overall they will all make you happy. With that being said, I would reccommend something in the 500cc and above, and something with efi. Price is always a big factor for most people myslef included, so in my opinion, the Suzuki King Quad 700cc efi is the best bang for the buck. Has all the modern day features, with good ground clearance, suspension travel, steel racks, diff lock,and efi. Should be able to get one out the door for mcuh less than $7k. Honda doesn't offer anything with true 4x4, or anything over a 500cc with low range. Arctic Cat is also a good choice, however, a bit pricey. They have a 700cc efi cat available this year, however, it has the suzuki kq engine and it's stamped with a much steaper price. Yamaha doesn't offer efi, but they should be releasing their 07 models any day, which I suspect will have an efi model in it. Polaris is a good all around machine, but the heaviest and largest beast made. I own a polaris and 2 yamaha's. The yamaha is a good trail machine with optional mudding and working, and the poalris is a good work/ mudding machine with the optional trail riding. You will not find a more comfortable ride than the polaris. First determine your price budget, then go test ride them all that are in that range. Let me know if you need more help, and let me know what you decide to buy.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will no doubt be deluged with advice saying that you need a monster big bore, but your needs are simple, so keep the quad as small, light, and simple as possible (which also means less expensive)!

My personal choice is the Honda Rancher. Big enough to do the job, but not a hulking monster either.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, most of the utilities available today will do what you are looking to do. I agree with you in that you want a 4x4, and would add something with a low range/granny gear capability. EFI is the latest and greatest, found on many of the flagship models. While it would be nice to have, there are a ton of carbed quads out there that start and run in 4 season climates with little fanfare. At this point I look at efi as a very nice perk, but not an essential. It doesn't sound like you will be doing a lot of mudding, so a solid rear axle quad may be to your liking. They don't have the ground clearence of an IRS quad, but are better suited for towing heavier loads. I have pulled firewood off of some steep hillsides with utes before, and no offense to reconranger and his beloved Honda Ranchers, but if that is something you will do a lot of, machine weight can be your friend. Realistically, no ute is going to haul wood as well as a tractor. A Rancher can certainly do that chore as well, but you will be able to safely handle larger loads with a beefier quad. Final thing for now, I prefer disc brakes if you are going to be hauling also. I don't trust drums, especially if there is a water crossing on the agenda while hauling. Lots of choices out there, good luck!

Old 06-20-2006, 03:24 AM
Trailblazer

bro in law has an 04 cat 400 4x4

He has plowed, hauled wood splitters, pulled boats/jetskis out of water (with is 4x4 up to the seat in water), and gone mudding

If you ride on forest floors over logs, etc, you will appreciate AC"s 13" of ground clearance.

My only gripe is it is taller, which means you cant be a fool and do 90degree turns at 40mph. (im afraid of flipping it)

However ive seen it haul things up steep hills, etc, so its stable, just not a racer. but really, i think its a good choice for anyone whos mixing chores with fun.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:26 AM
Trailblazer

oh yeah, good point on the tractor vs atv.

How much wood you hauling at a time? <1000 lbs, or the forest?

Old 06-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know how many pounds I'll be moving, but we've estimated that there is 4 to 5 years of deadfall and felled trees, so I'll be moving a bit when I can. My plan is to bring what I can to a central location where I can get my pickup into, using the ATV for deeper forest. My property is all forest, whith cleared trails. These trails are slowly becoming overgrown since we don't have an effective way to get around them. Once the tall ground cover takes over, it's game over.

I also have a swampy are at the hed of one of my ponds that is an issue. This area basically cuts me off from the other half of my property, and all the wood and maple trees are unaceesable. To get to this area we have to decend a 30degree hill for about 100'or 150' drop. Getting down this slope and back is a requirement. eventually we'd like to harvest sap from trees on this side, as well as bring cut wood up to the top of this slope for splitting.

We also do maple syrup and moving 5000 litres of sap this spring was a challenge by hand so we'd be wanting also to haul 100 to 140 litres of sap in a trailer.

While this is primarily a work tool, I still want to ride the trails around my property. Speed is not a requirement, so if the machine that does the work is a bit clunky and slow, then that's o.k..

Someone indicated that I might be best servered getting a good work machine and also a smaller runabout machine for a riding partner....

Steve,
Huntsville, ONTARIO

Old 06-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve, where one atv is good, two are even better! I notice you are a Canadian, and I couldn't help but wonder if Bombardier(now Can-Am again) might be in the running? Their product can be a bit pricey, but seems top notch. Some of the 2-up riders may interest you, and the extra wheelbase they offer would be good for climbing that hill with a load. I'm not saying you need a 2 up to do that, just would be easier is all. Not sure if they would be better or worse in swampy conditions though. Polaris also has the X2 now, which is a 2-up that has a small bed on the back, or there are models like the Yamaha Rhino, Polaris Ranger, Cat Prowler that are side by sides with dump beds. These are wider, longer, and a bit heavier than a traditional atv, but may work well for your intended purposes. Have you looked into any of these?

Old 06-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Trailblazer

side by sides are much more expensive.

honestly if i were you i would look at the AC Tbx line.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I haven't directly looking into the side-by-sides, no. I saw an option for a 2-up seat at the Suzuki dealer on the weekend, and that interested me. For safety sake, I don't think hitting the bush solo is a good idea.

I was at the Yamaha 50th anniversary bash a few months ago and saw some pretty interesting stuff, and had a chance to see the 2 ups there...the Rhino I think it was? These are interesting and would probably get the job done also, so I can't say I'd discount one of these.

One of the things I'm trying to find out is if there are any machines that exhibit less than desirable life expecancy or failures after a given time. I'm sure all manufacturers don't set out to biuld bad products, but the end result, real-world situations, there must be some that outshine others. Brand "A" must be more or less reliable that Brand "B" or "C"....

Quick Reply: First time buyer considerations