Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Automatic or Not

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2000, 09:20 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thoughts please...I am getting close to buying my first ATV, I test drove a number of them this week. I really like the automatics but am I just asking for trouble (i.e. belt slippage, getting stranded, increased repair costs, etc.)? If I was to go with a standard shift I'd have to choose a Honda ES, I just don't find foot shifting comfortable. Seems very awkward, besides I love having the full floor boards. As far automatics go...I love the looks, true 4-wheel drive and suspension of the Polaris. However, reliability is very important to me and from what I've read and heard, Polaris is at the bottom of the barrel. The Quadmaster and Kodiak are the two automatics that I am looking at but again am I asking for trouble by going with an automatic? Thanks...Happy New Year all!!

Also should mention, I will being doing a lot of ATVing in the woods and in as much mud and water as I can find. Not a lot of fast trail riding.

[This message has been edited by c4drm (edited 01-01-2000).]

Old 01-01-2000, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

For mud I have found that auto quads do better, thats why my next quad will be an auto. Water could go either way. If its about the racks go for the manual, if it's below the air intake on the auto the auto will out perform the auto.

Now lets talk quads.
If you are considering the Quadmaster why not consider the Arctic Cat 500 automatic? The AC comes with better tires, has more suspension, and awsome mudding ability.

Another quad to consider is the Sportsman 500. It has the highest trans intake of all the automatics on the market.

Old 01-01-2000, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply...I test drove a number of quads this week as I would really like to buy one asap. I was hoping to get a sweet deal at yearend but I couldn't find one.

I drove both the Cat 500 auto and Quadmaster at a local dealer this week. It was a quick spin in a parking lot. Let me first say I've been drooling over the Cat for sometime, as I've read a lot about them and love the looks of the machine. However I wanted to get a quad for less than $6k so I looked and drove the Kodiak, Rancher & King Quad. After driving all three of these I decided none was for me and I would have to spend the extra $ to get what I wanted/liked.

The minute I sat on the cat I noticed a piece of plastic on my right hand side right where my shin wanted to be. I thought I'll get used to that. I started the big Cat up and loved the sound of it's Purrrr. Once I put it in High and hit the trottle I was amazed at how much the engine reved. It reved so high the plastic on the machine vibrated. Until I got going 20+ mph the engine didn't quite down. I will be doing a lot of slow traveling through the woods and the noice of the engine and vibration of the plastic would not be for me.

I then hopped on the Quadmaster, the seat was shorter (2" probably) but it still felt fine. No plastic piece in my shin bone, that's good. As I started forward the engine the noice was not half as loud as the Cat's. I liked it. I am headed to another dealer next week to drive the Quadmaster on nice track. It thought the suspension on the two machines where the same other than the Cat having a longer wheel base?

I am thinking of waiting till the Rubicon comes out. I am not sure if it's going to be worth the wait or not, time will tell. What do you think? What will be your next auto?

Regarding the Sportsman, man what a beast. The more I've read on this quad the more I've been turned away from buying one. I think the negatives out way the positives on this machine. Negatives being: belt slippage, belt system in need of an update, higher maintenance, questionable reliability, weighs almost 700 lbs.

Old 01-01-2000, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

"Negatives being: belt slippage, belt system in need of an update, higher maintenance, questionable reliability, weighs almost 700 lbs."

One thing..The Belts won't slip unless you play submarine and have it up over the game tank.

Belt system in need of a update? I don't know what you mean about that..

As for reliablity..My Trailblazer has been 100 Percent reliable.

My friend bought a New TB in 96. He is the last person that would do any work on it..and it still runs great!

I got to ride a sportsman today of my uncles. It ran great. We did some riding it ran great(wait..i said that once)He had to pull me out once. I took it through some semi-frozen water..over top the PVT cover. I had no trouble at all. No slipping.

Not sure of the year..it is a 500

As for the weight. If you can't handle a big quad..don't buy one

[This message has been edited by 97TrailBlazer (edited 01-01-2000).]

Old 01-01-2000, 04:56 PM
Trailblazer

Regarding belt system in need of an update...I've read at this site folks comparing the Kodiak, Cat and Quadmasters belt drive system (automatics) to that of Polaris. The Kodiak, Cat and Quadmaster are said to be a better system due to a sealed aluminum case rather than plastic, continuous spinning belt gives longer belt life and quicker response, better EBS. I have not rode a Polaris, this is just from what I've read.

Regarding the weight. I believe a lighter quad is going to perform better in the mud. The Polaris dealer told me the Polaris Magnum is better in the mud than the Sportsman and it's because the Magnum is approx. 50 lbs lighter than the Sportsman.

Old 01-01-2000, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

The Magnum is also less "complicated" because of its normal rear suspension. I've heard some bad stuff about the Sportsman but everyone seems to love their Magnum. Maybe you might want to look at one of those. The Polaris auto may be the oldest design of the bunch but it has the best tuneability of the bunch too.
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 01-01-2000, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

Arctic Cat 500 Automtic specs
[Dry Weight] 648 lbs. (294 kg)
[Ground Clearance] 9.2" (23.3 cm
[Overall Height] 45" (114.3 cm)
[Wheelbase] 51.6" (131 cm)
[Overall Width] 45" (114.3 cm)
[Overall Length] 80.5" (204.3 cm)
[Tire Sizes] Front: 25x10-12 (5.0 psi)
Rear: 25x10-12 (5.0 psi)
[Suspension Travel] Front: 7.2" (18.3 cm)
Rear: 7.2" (18.3 cm)
[Brake System] Front: Hydraulic disc
Rear: Hydraulic disc
[Fuel Capacity] 4.75 gallons (18 liters)
[Alternator Output] 25 amps
[Rack Capacity] Front: 100 lbs. (45 kg)
Rear: 200 lbs. (91 kg)
[Towing Capacity] 1050 lbs. (477 kg)

Suzuki Quadmaster specs
[Dry Weight] 275kg (606 lbs.)
[Ground Clearance] 235mm (9.3 in.)
[Overall Length] 2005mm (79.0 in.)
[Overall Width] 1170mm (46.1 in.)
[Overall Height] 1185mm (46.7 in.)
[Wheelbase] 1230mm (48.4 in.)
[Tires] FRONT: AT 25 x 8-12
REAR: AT 25 x 10-12
[Fuel Tank Capacity] 12.5 liter (3.3 gal.)

My next quad is most probaly going to be a Sportsman 500. I need the amasing amount of ground clearance. I'm also good freinds with the owner of the local Polaris shop. Polaris's reliabilit ecord has been getting ALOT BETTER the last 3 years. Besides if anything breaks on it I can ride it straight to the Polaris shop.

If I get it I will be sure to bring an extra brake lever and all the tools to change it. Why an extra brake lever? Because the stock one is plastic, like the racks. I don't ming the plastic racks because I will be useing my AC to do work, and the ony things the Sp's racks are going to carry is stuff to get me out when I get stuck.

Old 01-01-2000, 08:33 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the specs Boner, hey did you try out the Quadmaster before you purchased your Cat? If so, what are your thoughts on the Quadmaster.

I am amazed by how much praise and then how much dumping there is on Polaris ATVs. You don't see this with any of the other brands. I've talked with two local independent mechanics, one loved Polaris ATVs, thought they were easy to work on and were very reliable. The other mechanic agreed they were easy to work on but said they're always broken down. It's nuts! What's the REAL story? Does Polaris produce more than it's share of lemons?

I've love to go test drive a new one but am afraid I'll like it to much, buy-it and then find out it's a piece of sh@! in 12 months.

Old 01-01-2000, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

I bought my Quad before the QuadMaster came out. I didn't even consider the Suzuki 500 because of the reports I got about there ride(short wheelbase and short suspension travel =rought ride). I did sit try to shift one at a Hunting Expo. I couldn't shift it. I tried presing all the brakes, rocking it but it just refused to shift.

Ask Bill about his 99 Polaris Sportsman 500. He has got one of the worse Lemons ever.

Old 01-01-2000, 11:39 PM
Trailblazer

Don't let a few lemon stories scare you away from Polaris. I heard the same crap before I got my Trailblazer and i don't believe it now. My Polaris has been 100percent reliable no problems at all. I would have to say that they have the best belt drive autos because they have been making them longer than anybody else.What you need to do is go test ride them and see for yourself.

Quick Reply: Automatic or Not