ATV Expeditions Are you on a major excursion traveling the World or a Continent. Post your adventures and log your travels here.

Paiute Trail Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by claycope
Talk about identical trips. We are also going to be riding / camping Monday through Thursday. I was thinking that we could do the bottom half of the loop. Head out to the Barney lake area, explore the trails around there, then head south eventually ending up northwest of Marysvale at the Indian meuseum.

My question is, Right now we're going clock wise. Is there any reason we should do this trip in reverse, counter clockwise? We are going to camp along the trail.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.
We did most of the southern half of the loop. The only spot we ran into any issues is going down on the main trail towards Circleville where the trail is a 60" and less 2-track. A group came up the hill with RZR-s's and we had to pull as much off the trail as we could without pushing our rentals over the 100' drop-offs. We had to push on the roll cages to keep them from bumping our quads and RZR's off the edge. Took an hour to get them by us. The only part of the southern half we didn't do was just east of Circleville. We were told there weren't any gas stations open in town so we went north to Junction. I didn't see anything that suggested trails were one-way anywhere we went.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
Is camping along the trail allowed?
I'm not 100% sure of that. It "looked" like there were areas you could camp but not sure what rules apply. I sent an email off and may have an answer soon. I'll let you know.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

This was Specta's answer about camping along the Paiute Trail:

-you can camp just about anywhere along the trail - we just hope that
you build a fire in the same place the person before you did

Old 07-22-2014, 06:54 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
-you can camp just about anywhere along the trail - we just hope that you build a fire in the same place the person before you did
Circling back to this thread because my first Paiute trip is about a month away. Yes, you can disperse camp in any national forest. Most have limitation like x amount a feet from the road is allowed.

We do hope to use previous camp dispersed camp sites that have fire rings. I personally don't have a preference about the fire other than it's nice to have with a bourbon. Planning on using a little MSR camp stove, with dried food, so fires are just for atmosphere.

Since you have also ridden the area, I was thinking that Cottonwood Basin (trail 34) might be an ok place to camp for a night. It has some wooded areas. Anyone recall this area and have any advice for camping between Circleville and Sawmill Ridge?

Old 07-23-2014, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Circling back to this thread because my first Paiute trip is about a month away. Yes, you can disperse camp in any national forest. Most have limitation like x amount a feet from the road is allowed.

We do hope to use previous camp dispersed camp sites that have fire rings. I personally don't have a preference about the fire other than it's nice to have with a bourbon. Planning on using a little MSR camp stove, with dried food, so fires are just for atmosphere.

Since you have also ridden the area, I was thinking that Cottonwood Basin (trail 34) might be an ok place to camp for a night. It has some wooded areas. Anyone recall this area and have any advice for camping between Circleville and Sawmill Ridge?
We didn't do Trail 34 on the advice of a couple guys who came up from the Circleville (same guys who said there was no gas in Circleville) area. They said it was nasty. Normally we'd have tried it but after the switchback incident we were more than happy to stay on the main trail.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Range Rover

so just to confirm, there is gasoline in Circleville correct? Also, what about near the Indian Reservation? We should be needing fuel about then as well. Thanks.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

so just to confirm, there is gasoline in Circleville correct? Also, what about near the Indian Reservation? We should be needing fuel about then as well. Thanks.
The best I can tell you about Circleville is that the gas station wasn't open when we were there last year in August. There was gas in Junction which is the next town north of Circleville. The nearest gas I can see from the map to the Fremont Indian Museum area is in Marysvale to the south or in Joseph to the north. If you're bringing your own machines I'd highly recommend getting a flat gas can like Rotopax.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:55 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
If you're bringing your own machines I'd highly recommend getting a flat gas can like Rotopax.
Definitely, I'll be carrying 4 gallons in rotopax. Wow, this really is a factor though to how much side trail exploring we can do. I just phoned the Butch Cassidy Hideout motel and hideout. They have fuel we can purchase there.

Now I need to plan a detour to Junction if the owner of the motel isn't there.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Definitely, I'll be carrying 4 gallons in rotopax. Wow, this really is a factor though to how much side trail exploring we can do. I just phoned the Butch Cassidy Hideout motel and hideout. They have fuel we can purchase there.

Now I need to plan a detour to Junction if the owner of the motel isn't there.
If you take Trail 34 east you will get to the outskirts of Junction. If you go north from Circleville it's about 9 miles or so.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer

We take the SXS up above puffer lake east of beaver. Lots of places to put a 5th wheel. No camp grounds but lots of meadows and wooded pull outs. lots of places to just park and do some recon too. Miles and miles of trails