ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

anyone have ideas for unlocking a engine

Old 07-31-2002, 02:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got a engine on a 1978 honda 110 and id loike ideas of unlocking it.
thanks

Old 07-31-2002, 03:52 PM
Range Rover

Take the head off the engine (preferably the engine is out of the machine), pour some kerosene in the top of the cylinder and let it sit for a day. Then take a hammer and a piece of 2x4 and tap on the top of the piston using the hammer to hit the 2x4. Repeat until the piston comes loose.

Old 07-31-2002, 03:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks alot

Old 08-02-2002, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer

I think the first idea may work, but if it doesn't come loose it may be either seized real hard, or it could be a lower end problem. You didn't mention if it had been locked up while running, or if it just sat around a while. It seems to me the the 110 had a removable cylinder head, which would tell you if you removed the head it if was siezed in the upper part or lower. If the piston is all the way to the top it might be difficult to tell.

For engines, we freeze the bearings, and heat the cases, so the bearings slide right in.
With a cylinder head loose you might be able to heat the assembly in an oven or with a torch, then after it is hot, take it out and apply ice or dry ice to the piston top. Be sure to drain and flush all fluids first with some brake cleaner, let if thoroughly dry, and don't use a good oven.

Maybe even just pouring the dry ice on the center of the piston would work, as the parts should expand at different rates, especially if the cylinder is cast iron. Be sure to wear insulated gloves.

I tried using a hammer, wood and oil on and old atc when I was a kid, and ended up breaking the piston. My suggestion if you use that method is to get a 4x4 and cut it (cut the corners off) so it just fits in the cylinder to spread the force of the blow out. most hardware stores should be able to supply you with one cut this way.

One guy I talked to at the shop today said he once poured oil in the cylinder and used an impact wrench on the axle nut to spin the axle with the engine out of gear, then popped the clutch, but I'm not sure if this would work or cause more damage than you already have. I would think this could break loose a slightly stuck engine, but would cause damage if used on one stuck good.
Anyway good luck.

Old 08-03-2002, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

Take the spark plug out and fill the cylinder with Liquid Wrench or Bel-ray 6n1 oil (available at atv dealer). Let it set for 3-4 hours. If there wasn't any oil in the crankcase, spray some in it too. Take a blowgun with a rubber tip and pressurize the cylinder. This will blow oil past the rings. Take the flywheel cover off and put a wrench on the flywheel nut. Chances are a slight tap will break it loose. Slowly turn it over and keep filling the cylinder with lube.

If it is stuck, the rings are probably stuck too and it will need rebuilt soon. If you get it started, there is a good chance you will crack a ring.