ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Recently got an 84 Big Red, general maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recently got an 84 Big Red, general maintenance?

Hey everybody I recently acquired a 1984 Honda Big Red 200cc. I don't much about it besides the fact you have to turn VERY slowly (guess how I found that out). It was supposedly taken very well care of. It runs great in my opinion, a little faster than I am comfortable with. Starts easily with electric start and I am able to start it will the pull cord too but it stalls out alot until it gets warmed up and even then doesn't idle great. Its pretty loud and backfires alot when I get off the throttle. I'm not too popular around the neighborhood... It wobbles a little bit at top speed but besides that everything seems fine. But the thing is older than I am which worries me a bit. Is there any information I need to know or parts to keep an eye on? What kind of fuel should I put in it? Ive been using regular. Really just any general maintenance tips as I'd like to keep it running well. Any websites with guides to taking care of them would be awesome too. Does anybody know the top speed of these things? I guess around 30-40 but it feels like 100! It started raining and the drop hurt like heck. Thanks alot.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have one for about 2 yrs. check your forks if they are worn pick up on the handle bars the forks should slide down with no play also check your front wheel bearings & tier PSI 3 lbs. in all tires. They have lots of power with the 12 inch wide tires you put it in low you can go all most any ware.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First and foremost, you should have a service manual for your trike. What you are describing sounds like a carburetor problem. Being that it is so old, I would flush the tank out to see if there is any trash and/or water in it. Remove the fuel valve from the tank and make sure it is clean. There is a good chance that you will have to replace the o-ring/gasket. If it does not have one already, you might want to install an in-line fuel filter. The stalling issue is probably due to dirt/debris in the carb. Get yourself a carb kit and rebuild it. If it is back firing when you let off the gas, you may need to go larger with your main jet. And lastly, if it is loud and your silencer is not repackable, find another one. eBay will most likely be your best bet. Good luck and post your results.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi, i just got a 1984 200m a year ago ( pretty much the same)

Ill tell you what i know, My bike would back fire everytime i let off the throttle and wouldn't idle and stall if i let go of the gas,, when i bought it , buddy didnt have a proper airfillter,basically none, just a sponge of some sort, and my exhaust ( muffler) had rusted holes all threw it. my header pipe from the engine to exhaust was still good with no holes. bought a new muffler from ebay around $250 and a new gasket for the header into the cylinder head. after that, no more back fire and it idles fine when running. ( its important that all seals are good, carb intake boot, air filter, carburetor, for proper vacuum seal with engine, and if thats all good its not an air flow problem that causing your back fire.

as far as fuel, now a days has ethanol in the gas, which can create condensation, so premium is better for these old engines,

if you ever did a oil change, their is NO oil filter, just a screen, its super easy, drain through the drain bolt and fill through the dip stick, since no oil filter i would suggest more frequent oil changes, its takes 1.7l's of 10w 40 oil.

the carb needs the be at the best fuel/ air mixture to run the best, buddy on youtube " d ray shop" has great videos of simple easy, carb, valves, cam chain, foot shift lever, breaks and drive chain videos i would suggest to check out

check and wiggle the bike both the back tires and front to make sure the bearings are still good, as far as your wobble at top speed, their is no suspension, the 4 bolts connecting to your axle should be tight ( i thought my rear bearings were bad but turns out those 4 nuts weren't tight.

these are great bullet proof engines, as long as the valve clearance is good, proper cam chain tension, clean air fitler, and oil changes, you cant kill these things

Old 03-23-2017, 02:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1984 honda 200e

Originally Posted by Wandy67
Hi, i just got a 1984 200m a year ago ( pretty much the same)

Ill tell you what i know, My bike would back fire everytime i let off the throttle and wouldn't idle and stall if i let go of the gas,, when i bought it , buddy didnt have a proper airfillter,basically none, just a sponge of some sort, and my exhaust ( muffler) had rusted holes all threw it. my header pipe from the engine to exhaust was still good with no holes. bought a new muffler from ebay around $250 and a new gasket for the header into the cylinder head. after that, no more back fire and it idles fine when running. ( its important that all seals are good, carb intake boot, air filter, carburetor, for proper vacuum seal with engine, and if thats all good its not an air flow problem that causing your back fire.

as far as fuel, now a days has ethanol in the gas, which can create condensation, so premium is better for these old engines,

if you ever did a oil change, their is NO oil filter, just a screen, its super easy, drain through the drain bolt and fill through the dip stick, since no oil filter i would suggest more frequent oil changes, its takes 1.7l's of 10w 40 oil.

the carb needs the be at the best fuel/ air mixture to run the best, buddy on youtube " d ray shop" has great videos of simple easy, carb, valves, cam chain, foot shift lever, breaks and drive chain videos i would suggest to check out

check and wiggle the bike both the back tires and front to make sure the bearings are still good, as far as your wobble at top speed, their is no suspension, the 4 bolts connecting to your axle should be tight ( i thought my rear bearings were bad but turns out those 4 nuts weren't tight.

these are great bullet proof engines, as long as the valve clearance is good, proper cam chain tension, clean air fitler, and oil changes, you cant kill these things
bought mine , new 33 years ago, always store it inside, change oil, plug each year, stable fuel, use non ethanol fuel, it is local...never have had an issues.. great bike.jim

Old 03-23-2017, 03:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default lucky

wow, your lucky to be the original owner and to have lived that day of legend. So wish they still made these Atcs today, exactly like they were.

I am apparently the 3rd owner of my atc, and its in remarkable shape. I never drive it hard. Had a brand new 400ex that I sure did

1984 200M - those are the original tires- made in japan

Old 03-25-2017, 10:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

WOW, that atc is in great shape. they last forever.jim