ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

1985 Honda 200x question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Honda 200x question

Hi, new to the forum but not to quads or motorcycles. [Have a Yamaha Blaster 240, YZ 490 and chinese quad for the wife]
I had always wanted a Honda 200x and decided to pick one up a few months ago. Should have researched it better - my fault but - Completely rebuilt the motor and after getting everything back on the trike found that the kickstart slips so bad its unuseable. After owning a Honda 300EX [new] I swore I would never own a Honda again-Looks like I did'nt listen to myself - anyways I guess Honda had a fix for it but thats unavailable now. Is there anything that can be done to remedy this or is this thing only good for kindling on the next bonfire? I really don't want to sink any more into this 4-joke anyways unless it's very minor.
Sorry for the rant - been trying for 2 hours to start it

Thanx in advance for your help

Old 12-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be able to find parts on ebay. You also might want to check Rocky Mountain OEM parts. Some oem parts are very reasonably priced. In the meantime, try pull starting it.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

There is no pull start on a 200x - please only respond if you have dealt with the problem- no ifs whats or maybes. I've read enough of them on the forums concerning this problem already.
Thanx

Old 12-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Pro Rider

Pull start with another ATV and a tow rope.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

That doesn't fix the problem tho does it - looking for a fix you obviously know nothing about so please refrain yourself from replying to my post.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

He was just giving you ideas, please refrain from using the thread if you don't have manors.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Umm - pull starting does not in any way constitute an idea for repairing a slipping kickstarter.
It's "manners" - not "manors"
For anyone else that has this poblem with your 200x - check the snap ring behind the pinion gear on the kickstarter shaft - you will probably find that the ears of the snap ring interfere with the ratchet meshing evenly with the pinion - especially if the teeth are worn. That is why sometimes the kickstart works and why it also does'nt, the ratchet is meshing at an angle causing it to pop out of mesh. Cut the top of the ears off on the snap ring and you may be surprised how well the teeth mesh. It appears with the wear of the gears and teeth and the play the shaft has end to end in the case the ratchet eventually ends up bottoming out on the ears of the snap ring which causes the mesh to be at an angle which causes it to pop out .

Old 12-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

I wrote it on my phone, calm down. I didn't realize I made a mistake. No offense, but it's people like you that don't belong on the internet. You stated that you had been trying for two hours to get it started, so the guy offered you advice on how to start it.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

I also understand that it doesn't fix the problem, but he was just giving advice. There was no need for you to get on the guys case.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jezzowhat
I really don't want to sink any more into this 4-joke anyways unless it's very minor.

been trying for 2 hours to start it
Let's see. You want to fix a problem caused by worn parts that requires new parts or used parts in good condition but you don't want to spend any money. I suggested places where you could get parts for a reasonable price. You said you had been trying to start your trike for 2 hours? And I am the one who obviously knows nothing? Your responses paint a very interesting picture about your ability to solve, or in your case, not solve problems. Good job partner. And, I have successfully dealt with this issue on an 85 ATC 250R and an 85 ATC 200X. Guess what? They both required replacement parts and once replaced the kickstarters engaged with no slippage. Would you care to guess how long it took me to start these machines? Good luck to you sir and may your right leg remain strong and healthy...you are going to need it for your 2 hour starting routines.

Thanks for the kind words tomgodair. Let's just sit quietly and see what kind of help he gets now.

Quick Reply: 1985 Honda 200x question