ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

atc 185 idles then revs then dies?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atc 185 idles then revs then dies?

sup i got an 81 atc185 and was running great til friday
friday was out goofing off on bike and started flooding out and pouring gas out the overflow tube didnt have time to fool with it so i shut off fuel and went on with life
saturday evening i pulled the carb and pulled the float and needle and sure enough was some black tar like substance under it. I was just wanting to ride so i just grabbed my can-o-spray and cleaned out the black junk. after riding again for bout 30 min started flooding and pouring fuel again so i got mad and left it over night
sunday i took entire carb apart and cleaned it thouroughly reassembled and as soon as put on bike was pouring gas. so i bent the float down 1/16 inch and the flooding problem went away

but now has new problem:
if i just start it and let it idle it will idle smooth for bout 30 seconds or so then rev up and die.

If i try to ride and just put around in third gear the thing will run forever (i have bout half mile loop and made 6 rounds) but as soon as you stop and put in neutral it will rev and die.

if u try to ride it and give it hard throttle for just a few seconds (like going through a puddle) it will start to sputter i can keep it alive with the throttle for a bit but it will eventually die

no matter what if the thing dies i can wait bout 15-20 seconds and the machine will fire right back up on first pull then one of the above problems will happen again.

I know my problem is in the carb but could anyone tell me where to look exactly? I'm thinking float too low but any adjustment to raise it will just flood the carb?

also am thinking bout putting a new carb on it anyway. Would a carb off a atc200 be too big (has 23mm slide vs 21mm), and would it affect the bottom end as i would rather have bottom end torque vs high end speed?

Old 05-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Range Rover

ok update got off work early today and adjusted float up 1/32 inch and my problem of the thing dieing went away matter of fact rode it for almost 2hrs with out it giving me any real problems
but still is a bit slow on the throttle response (not bad but not what i'm looking for) and it's still a bit of a dog on the bottom end

any help?

valves? not my first thought cause usually causes hard starts, but my trike starts up on first pull most every time. If so what are they suppose to be set at?

would larger carb help? i know will give more power at high end, but will it help on low end?

Old 05-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sup, I might just buy a new carb or pull the jets and clean them.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Vacuum leak?