ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Gas Cap / Carb

Old 08-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Cap / Carb

I just bought a 1985 ATC200s and I am having problems starting and keeping it running. It would start and only run with the choke in what I believe to be the open position. Then it would die within 10 seconds ( the choke lever was all the way up) I then pulled the carb and gave it a good cleaning. After cleaning, it started once again but died and now it won't start again. The gas cap has a selection lever -- ON/OFF. Does the selector have anything to do with the vent? I read a bit about proper venting and fuel pressure. Could this be part of my problem? Any other suggestions? Much appreciation!

Old 08-19-2010, 05:32 PM
2 strokes or 4

Lever has everything to do with the vent. On means it's venting, off means it's sealed. Basically it's for times the bike's not in use it won't evaporate, or when it's trailored there's no chance of it sloshing around and leak out the cap. After it dies try to drain the carb. from the screw in the bowl if nothing comes out the cap's probably why. Also it the jets are clean try taking the fuel hose off from the carb. turn the petcock on and see if gas flows freely to make sure the petcock or screen in't clogged. Usually only running on choke is an indicator of the pilot jet being clogged. P.S. choke lever up is on. Not restarting is probably a fouled spark plug from trying to start it. Try it with a new plug.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the info. I was messing around with my ATC earlier today before I read your post, the carb is getting gas from the tank, no blockages. The engine is getting gas as far as I can tell. I did suspect that it wasn't getting the proper spark from the plug. I have yet to put in a new plug.

Also, my friend has a similar ATC and he noticed that the ignition coil on my ATC seemed smaller, as if it were replaced with one from a different bike... could that be something worth taking into greater consideration?

Much appreciation!

Old 08-19-2010, 08:29 PM
2 strokes or 4

As far as the coil not really. There are a bunch of different brands but they all do the same thing. Like you could buy a NGK coil or a universal coil and it would work the same. Now the cdi or stator would be bike specific but not the coil. To me it sounds as though if you put a new spark plug ( always start with a new plug on these old bikes ) good fresh gas, clean air filter, and taking out the pilot jet and cleaning it real good ( I take a couple pieces of wire and run through all the holes to make sure it's clean ) along with the rest of the carb. it should run quite good for you after all it's a Honda. I know you said you cleaned the carb. but I believe the problem lies in that pilot jet, The running only on choke thing is a dead giveaway.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds good to me. I'm a novice when it comes to these older bikes but you learn as you go. I was thinking of just spending an extra 15 bucks and buying a carb rebuild kit just to ensure nothing is clogged. I will surely go out tomorrow and get that new plug and go from there!

The pilot jet is located on the bottom of the carb, correct? I read somewhere that the factory setting for it is two full turns out from it being screwed completely in?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:14 PM
2 strokes or 4

That's what we are here for, everybody started somewhere. The pilot jet is located on the bottom of the carb. When you take the carb. bowl off it will be the one offset from centered and recessed. A flathead screwdriver is what's needed to get it out. About the full 2 turns out, that is not for the pilot jet, that's for the air fuel mix screw. The jets get screwed all the way in. Pilot jet is number 23 on this parts fiche Covington, Louisana, Honda, Power Equipment, ATV, Motorcycle, Scooter, Dealer, Used, Parts, Service, Financing, Apparel, Accessories, Shop Online

Old 08-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, good thing I asked! I will try these things tomorrow and keep you posted on the results. Once again, MUCH appreciation!