ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Honda 200S. runs, idols, sluggish and no power..?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Honda 200S. runs, idols, sluggish and no power..?

Hi all....I'm new to this site, and I am looking for some help. I have a mixed basket Honda 200s engine mounted on a 200e frame.
I picked up a couple barn basket case wheelers...one is a 200s and the other is 185. After I got the 200 running, it was smoking, sluggish and no top end. It was obvious the timing chain was lose and the rings were shot...well the guides were broke and that messed the bottom sprocket. So, I was told not to bother putting money in that engine and had the 185 bored to a 200, new rings and gaskets and the top end looked over by a local mech. He assembled it for me. I installed that engine on the 200e frame and started building from there....Then came time for a run up....it still ran the same. I then did some trouble shooting and process of elimination. Using parts off my 200e (my trike that works good) I transferred my carb, coil, and pulse gen. I test the magneto and rechecked the timing. It is a little better running.....a little....and still has no power. It can hardly drag itself around the yard. I had the mechanic come over and double check if I missed something...he has 35yrs experience....and he mentioned a little play in the cam but compensated with valve lash adjustment.
It runs better on the hoist but still very little power. quarter throttle is most she takes then starts to brake down and bog out... Can any body help?

Old 03-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Trailblazer

is the exhaust clogged up ?

Old 03-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Exhaust

No, I even tried running it with just the header pipe.
My mechanic came over the other day and checked all adjustments...ie carb. timing, and valves. He did notice a little play in the cam that may make the valves open prematurely but, be adjusted the valves to compensate for the little play. Now, I forgot to mention that after each run the spark plug is black and sooty, which leads me to think it is a fire issue. I've put a known good carb, coil, pulse gen. and wire harness. The only thing I haven't robbed from my other trike is the magneto coil. I tested the existing magneto coil and it looks good but I am wondering if it is breaking down at higher RPM...?

Old 04-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds like your CDI module is causing your problem. It's the black box mounted underneath your fuel tank. (next to the ignition coil).

Old 08-01-2020, 02:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was wander if the CDI caused this problem because my Honda 200 has the same problem it ran great with lots of power then whal I was riding one day the power was pretty much cut in half